Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old Arizona Rider, New to the KLR 250..  (Read 945 times)

Offline Az4x4

• Bike: '98 KLR 250
Old Arizona Rider, New to the KLR 250..
« on: June 02, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »
Started with a '58 BSA 650 Spitfire Scrambler back in the day, when I was 18, and have ridden Honda and Yamaha trail bikes and dual-sports ever since.

Retired in '04 and moved from the heat of Arizona's desert to Zane Grey's beautiful Mogollon Rim country, high in the White Mountains of east-central Arizona, going on 5 years ago.

Enjoyed the heck out of riding remote mountain side single track on my Yamaha XT225, that is up till about a year ago when a couple of really close calls riding solo in the back country convinced me it was time to transition to exploring in my Jeep for safety's sake.

I sold the XT so as not to be tempted to push my luck again, and have alternated between kicking myself for doing so and justifying the sale as necessary if I didn't want to end up between a rock and a hard place. With no one to ride trails with here on the mountain that wouldn't be good, especially now that I'm pushing my late 70s.

However, once you're hooked on motorbiking, there's no turning back. So I've read Craigslist in Show Low religiously these past couple of months looking for a bike that made sense, and late last week that bike showed up.

A low mileage '98 KLR 250, garage kept its entire life, in virtually pristine condition, with high altitude carburetor jets, aftermarket shocks front and rear, UniFilter, and a free flow exhaust. 2" taller in the seat than my XT225 and a bit heavier, more like the XT250 I earlier had in that regard. But with the always dependable kick start and 6 speeds instead of 5, like the XT250 had. So I matched the guy's OBO thinking, bought the bike, loaded it on my trailer and back home I went - a new to me '98 KLR 250 owner!

The road never ends for those who enjoy bikes - not even when your pushing your late 70s like me!

Just remind me on occasion that I didn't get this KLR to ride remote single track, but to enjoy the miles of graded residential and forest roads around here, and explore my community in depth on two wheels instead of four!..

Offline Yellow Jacket

• Bike: Super Sherpa,XT350, DR650
Re: Old Arizona Rider, New to the KLR 250..
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:39:45 AM »
Welcome aboard Az4x4. You seem to have found a very good looking bike there. Like you, I too have had to give up riding single track. When I first moved to the mountains of North Carolina and before I found friends to ride with I did a lot of exploring on my own. Today I reflect back on some of that and have to ask, "what was I thinking". In time I met like minded riders, mostly thanks to KLRWorld, that I could ride with. Today it's mostly 2 track dirt and twisty pavement for me but I still enjoy getting out.  Enjoy your new ride.

Offline Az4x4

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! You're right, the thought that crossed my mind more than once was "What was I thinking riding single track by myself in such rugged country!" Took a couple of really close calls for the light to dawn, but fortunately I avoided finding myself upside down between a rock and a hard place with no one anywhere near to help..

I'm perfectly content with the KLR to ride forest service roads and graded residential streets. Keeps the wind in my face and two wheels under me, and I still explore the backcountry in my Jeep anytime I want. Besides, the KLR is a LOT more bike than the XT225 was, plus it cost $1100 LESS than the XT, which puts me $$ ahead as far as my two wheel budget is concerned! Just glad the bike I found was in such great shape and so well cared for..

Thanks again for the welcome, and ride safely!

Offline Buzzardco

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: 2004 "army green"
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
Looks very good for your described purposes. Great find.

Offline Az4x4

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »

Looks very good for your described purposes. Great find.
It definitely fits what I have in mind for it. When it showed up on Craigslist and I looked it over carefully, I knew it was the right bike for me!..

Offline Az4x4

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »
Busy Fathers Day weekend here on the mountain. Family visited for a few days, which is enjoyable but you're always glad when everyone heads back home! Felt sorry for those who made the trip up from Scottsdale, 'cause going back to the desert from the cool of the White Mountains is a shock to the system!

We're relatively 'warm' here on the Rim, mid 80s to low 90s, some 10 to 15 degrees above normal for this area. But the Valley of The Sun (including the Phoenix metro area) is blistering HOT right now, which makes living there not for the faint of heart.

Today the Valley is scheduled to hit 118 to 120 degrees, while here on the Mountain we'll be 90 degrees at best. So I'm grateful I don't live in the desert, but enjoy life here in the high country!..

Hope everyone's Fathers day was a good one, and the summer is treating you well.

Ride safely!

Offline larry31

• Bike: KLR650, GL1800, NX250
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »
I too rode many questionable trails when I was young, and indestructible?
My NX250 got me through without any major damage. (No thanks to me.)
I'm now pushing the high end of the 70's, and have slowed down quite a bit. It all comes to the decision as to when to stop, and turn around. (I don't do mud any more.)
I ride my KLR650 on gravel roads, and some rough abandoned roads, but to get into tight places, I save that for my Honda NX250. As long as there's no mud!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved