Username: Password:

Author Topic: RPB KLR 2014 random ride journal  (Read 15325 times)

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
Re: RPB KLR 2014 random ride journal
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Thanks Trialsguy... I'm thankful for the ride reports when the prospects of biking are buried under foul weather or commitments to no end... I really enjoy your ride reports and the background information on your area  :thumb:

Oct 13th cont'd

Canaan area will always hold a special spot for me. I was lucky enough to spend many summers working with a wonderful  crew of people at blueberry harvest time. I learned a lot of life skills and values that ended up being part of the core truths one leans on when times get difficult...

this reminds me of those days... take what you need...

After ruling out many trail possibilities earlier in the summer i finally connected a road network to make it through to Parrsboro.. here is a google earth shot to give you an idea of all the dead end road "choices"... HERE

some shots of the backcountry.... lots of solitude time

HPIM3193 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

The haze from the water on the horizon is the destination

HPIM3194 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

random shots from the last inland stop...

Canaan now behind...

HPIM3197 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

HPIM3195 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

HPIM3198 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

crossed over to Two islands road and drove to the "point" on the map adjacent to the islands... MAP

I followed the road until it dead ended at a driveway that had a log across it.. Was plain to see that quads had been driving "around" the log... so..i guess folks want you to walk from here?

klr version of the truth...

I drove in and encountered one of those old airstream aluminum travel trailers parked and being used as a summer retreat, I felt bad when i read the note clearly hung in the window that read... "please enjoy the view,but do not destroy our property" . As you all are aware... more forceful signage could have been used to keep this area "private"

This was the view from just in front of the trailer..

HPIM3200 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

One of the Islands can just be barely viewed over the bike windshield

HPIM3199 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

another island shot..

HPIM3201 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

I hopped on the bike and drove to the rear of the property...

there was a very steep path to a look out/bluff i guess some would call it. Quads had been driving up it.. i may have tried with a riding buddy... but solo,,,nada..

HPIM3207 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

lol..no regrets pretty steep..

HPIM3208 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

oh... .. :rayof: on a couple of trees there was signs saying "no repelling"

HPIM3203 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

In the distance is Walton Nova Scotia...

HPIM3202 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

The shadows were getting a bit long... over to Parrsboro to grab a coffee..

The town has these neat displays near its center..each time i visit its been  different

this thing reminded me a story a close acquaintance  told me a view years back... It goes like this.. as relayed to me {from a x railway employee}
Quote:
"Railway Motor cars are noisy things..with the steel wheels on rails ... even though you sat beside each other we would have to look and yell at each other if you wanted to communicate .I used to travel with a guy named Ivan while patrolling the track.. he had sardines everyday for dinner so to avoid the aftermath of his lunch {breath} :Hap1:... i wouldn't look his way when he was trying to discuss job details while the unit was moving..needless to say it didn't save me ,as he would repeat everything at least three times"

:bugey:... pretty contained units... i'll always think of the sardine story when i see one of these.

HPIM3209 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

HPIM3210 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

i have no idea what these are on display...

HPIM3211 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

HPIM3212 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

It was a good day... 220 kms of dual sport goodness  :smiler:

HPIM3213 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 08:15:23 AM »
Sure is nice to keep good riding fresh in your mind by looking at great pics. Keep it coming!

:thumb:
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline Spanky

• Bike: Blue '08
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
 :thumb:    :clap:
Zat choo, Buckwheat...?

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
Thanks Trialsguy... I'm thankful for the ride reports when the prospects of biking are buried under foul weather or commitments to no end... I really enjoy your ride reports and the background information on your area  :thumb:

I sure wish I had some unpublished rides to put up.... I'm looking at the old ones and the cool stuff you post   :mol:  saying "... soon, Bob, soon..."

Canaan area will always hold a special spot for me. I was lucky enough to spend many summers working with a wonderful  crew of people at blueberry harvest time. I learned a lot of life skills and values that ended up being part of the core truths one leans on when times get difficult...

I bet it was long hours, with emphasis on getting the job done above all.

Same here, with forest fires.  People dynamics, core truths.

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 06:34:18 AM »
Nov 25th

Trialsguy...  days were long  as rainy days put a strain on a small window of time {to avoid an over ripe berry} .It was very erie to return to tidy up a field after the crew left.. a place that went from sharing stories and hardships.... to empty and only the wind wrestling leaves on the near by trees. A few of the folks have passed on {RIP} now but I'm thankful for being lucky enough to meet all the genuine personalities. 

I’m digressing on my KLR today.. … I have a couple of hybrid posts  coming up…  then that’s it…  for 2014…

Awhile back i bumped into an interesting site on the net called big dog adventures HERE The site owner seems to keep a no BS diary of a bikes performance and how it stacks up to expectations over the log haul. All that being said a full bike report was on the site for  a husky... a 690 ktm but one report Mark had  done had my full attention.. a 250 cc bike that travelled flawless from Mexico to Alaska..shortly after a fairly local craigs list ad caught my eye for one of the same  250 cc bikes ..  :drooler:

After waffling around i responded to the ad ... and another RPB riding venue was about to be born ..

It was a rare + 14 day with high chance of rain before turning colder .. so i rode the cage with trailer  over to Cape Jourimain NB  with a plan to take the   "shuttle" across   the Confederation bridge link to Prince Edward Island then meet my son on the other end of the bridge... Borden-Carleton PEI  .....

The plan is you go into the Interpretive center and call the bridge base to arrange a shuttle.. Note: it is free to go to PEI... you only pay a toll to leave.

There is a light house at Cape Jouriman .. i would have went over to get a picture but i couldnt get the bike to it  :Hap1:

light house picture and lots of back ground on the area in ->THIS<- link

20141125_123712 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

i dont know what bearings are in this windmill but the thing was screaming from the strong westerly winds... while i waited

20141125_123633 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

and waited ... for the shuttle..come to find out buddy was on his dinner break..then they had to shut the Bridge down to allow a wide load to cross the bridge... at least the shuttle led the way..

20141125_123636 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Finally ..
On the 2012 WR250R in Summerside PEI after filling my pie hole  at the A&W burger joint.. it was a rare opportunity to have lunch with my son.

IMG_2964 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

I drove back across the Federation bridge and it was still only 3:15 PM *grin*

The interesting facts on the 8 mile bridge.. HERE the biggest engineering feat is that it crosses a strait that contains tidal influenced ice covered water.. 

20141125_162235 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

The farther i got from the bridge the more my biking dementia kicked in...   :11doh:

20141125_164127 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

The only cure was ...  more riding.. so off to Bayfield to use up the daylight and regain my whereabouts function..

20141125_163326 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

20141125_163631 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

20141125_164144 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

I can see lots of  light weight venues ahead on this buggy....   in the meantime... need to start thinking about the cheapest way to keep both bikes rolling weight "light" or at least "lighter"  .... ... a new years diet...    :bugey:

coming up you'll see how the trusty klr never really leaves your blood stream...  stay tuned ...

Offline mtr3d

• Bike: 2009
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
Can't wait for the rest of the story.  :biker_h4h1:

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
Dec 21st

Well folks things are winding down...I'm a KLR guy to the core and to be honest i feel the thread is contaminated a bit with the WR in the picture . This post will be a hybrid so to speak...but eventually the WR will be somewhere in the background in its own "forum" .

Since this ride was based around the aftermath of driving rain  this would be known as the "water tour"....i'd thought this would be appropriate,,,, Enjoy... and take what you need... there is lots for us all.......

Snow had come and gone at least 3 times.by the Dec 21st .. and.,..I  thought i had put the "bikes " away that many times as well....  :sleep:

after a three day deep freeze  of wind  -10c weather ..a warm front landed along with a few inches of rain in 24 hours...
Did a quick spin around my area on the WR to see the aftermath ..as many of you are aware..after that much cold everything is frozen and the water runs off ..no soaking in so to speak...

started out things seemed pretty normal.. at least in the open area's   :thumb:

20141211_095715 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

I'm 400 ' above sea level on the little hill i live on... The Tantramar marsh is sea level,,, to kind of set the "setting"

20141211_100253 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

then into a tree shaded road... good lots of rock... "eh"

20141211_100858 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

20141211_100908 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

20141211_101107 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

starting too look a little dicy.. but hey...  water crossings ..no problem...

20141211_101203 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

the thin ice was the best part...  no frost left under the ice.. "soup"

20141211_101451 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

things digressed... had to abort when this was only getting deeper.  :lurker:

20141211_101629 by freewillieklr, on Flickr
and if it wasnt the mud getting deeper... it was the water..

20141211_101724 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

back tracked and grabbed a second road i travel alot on..umm not today..

20141211_103646 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

did my part to warn others.. at least on this side..

20141211_104319 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

oh well... at least it was a December bike riding "fix"  .. but not nearly enough for me only a couple of hours in the saddle was BS and as the song says,,"it doesn't work that way",,,, it was time to pull out the big guns...

KLR happily  out ..I drove down to a place called Frosty Hollow which is just outside the town of Sackville NB .. In this picture there is normally a fork in the road and to the left is the main railway line everything flooded and underwater.. only the top of the railway tracks visible ..map of the area
HERE

20141211_120018 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

View to the North ..  Just to the right of this picture was a bunch of those large bales of hay wrapped with white plastic to protected until use as forage... i felt bad that a farmer would be left short changed a winter food supply for livestock..

20141211_120053 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

to the South,,, the ocean.... Bay of Fundy on the other side of that earth mound... the tidal gates could *NOT * outflow quick enough to drain this,,,,

20141211_120125 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

A lot of town folks were out,,,,  some had heard of flooding  like this in the early 60's   but that time the levee broke and the tide came in..

20141211_120227 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Silver lake..Sackville  known earlier as  Morice’s Mill Pond was created in the pre 1800's to run grist mills interesting history HERE In the first picture  they brought in an excavator and large aggregate  to shore up the road shoulder to the right from washing out

20141211_121650 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

i'll never live long enough to figure out why folks speed up when the water gets "deep"

20141211_122300 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

didn't have to wait long...

20141211_122332 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

These shots about 1 mile downstream from the Silver lake area,,,

kind of odd... the little tree in front of the bike to the left is supposed to guide the "snow plow" drivers.. they are all along back roads that get less plow service than main arteries ..

20141211_123735 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

20141211_123801 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

ocean in this direction...

20141211_123748 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

10 km ride Over to Amherst Nova Scotia  ...

Smith road... again.... this all wanting to get back into the ocean...nadda not today

20141211_130312 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

my plans included alot of detours,,,,   another 20 mins to the east..

Maccan Nova Scotia   The name is derived from the Indian name Maakan, meaning fishing place ...Sea smelts come in the spring to spawn in the tidal river adjacent to the bush lined  bank on the right {second picture}

20141211_134650 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

20141211_134855 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

A close friend from that area,,,,  found out how fast 6" of frost can disappear,,, {4wd tractor would be needed to remedy this later that evening}
20141211_140247 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Chignecto N S ... some may remember the ride report from the first pit head power in North America ride report a couple years back...

no crossing here today..

20141211_131732 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

50 kms to the east... Two daughters live here,,, so the Dad senses were kicking in / concerned.. better check it out..

Oxford NS

20141211_152212 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

i joked with the guys on the right about starting the pump to pump the water away... they were trying to shut down a flooded sewage pump..

20141211_152854 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

20141211_152151 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

the river is "supposed" to be between the ballfield and the old exhibition building in the back ground

20141211_152920 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Got to my youngest  daughters place...whew ... was glad to see her new home was above the water level.. the river is only a few hundred feet to the rear of the cars,... {before she bought the home my first question was about the water/flood history of the area}... so i guess she did her homework...

20141211_153217 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Well that pretty much wraps up the KLR version of the truth for 2014... The ride year has come full circle since i was out in Jan 12th 14' i think it was ...so hey a great year :rayof:
 Its almost midnight and time to shut this thread down and move on into the new year..... in which i hope to ride even more and maybe meet some of the great folks on this site in my travels... .. happy new year KLRista's...

enjoy...take what you need .. *wink* ...

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 07:14:07 AM »
Nice job RPB! No worries on the WR infusion...great looking bike as well.

I've enjoyed reading thru the report and looking at the pics. Like you've had, we've enjoyed a few weeks of single digit and sub zero weather which has kept the KLR languishing in the shed. Yesterday was a monsoon which took quite a bit of the snow away. The remaining snow is now froze up good so with any luck and a bit of sunshine, tomorrow may actually provide for some riding...mid 20/30 degree riding, but riding none the less.

:thumb:
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline billygoatgruff

• Bike: Currently Bandit 2001
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 06:23:51 AM »
Great post guys. Great to see the varies landscapes from other parts of the world!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved