Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sherpa seat  (Read 3576 times)

Offline BakonMoto

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: '01 Super Sherpa
Sherpa seat
« on: June 22, 2014, 05:32:33 AM »
OK, I'll jump in here with the first new post in this section :poke:.

I've got a Seat Concepts pad/cover kit for my Super Sherpa, and am in a quandary. Anyone got opinions on whether I should:

A) run up to Harbor Freight, spend ~$20 on a pneumatic stapler and attempt the installation myself (taking into account that I've never upholstered anything),

or

2) try to find a local auto/cycle upholsterer to do the installation for me, hopefully for about the same $20 that some on the DR650 forum have reported?

If option 2), does anyone have a suggestion for an upholsterer in the Hendersonville/Fletcher area that might fit the bill?

Bryan
can't say much in 25 char

Offline Mel Brooks

• Veteran Member
  • Bike: KLX 351 & Sherpa
Re: Sherpa seat
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »
Bryan,

I put a Guts cover on my old KDX 220 by using a regular staple gun.  It would have been much easier with two people helping, but I managed to do it by myself and it turned out really well.

Just keep the cover stretched tight and aligned correctly and shoot your staples. I think I used 1/4" staples?

With a pneumatic it should be TONS easier than the regular old squeeze-handle type I used.

Iffn you don't wanna try that, I have also used an upholsterer in Fletcher. He's kind of across from Fletcher Feed and Seed and the car stereo place/post office (how confusing is all that?   :Hap1: ).

I know Yellow Jacket has used a guy somewhere in Hendo/Fletcher too. PM him.

Good luck, I know you'll get er on. I'd like to know how you like it when you have time to review it.

edit:  Love your sig line!   -laf
:burnout:

Offline BakonMoto

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: '01 Super Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 10:36:11 AM »
Bryan,

Iffn you don't wanna try that, I have also used an upholsterer in Fletcher. He's kind of across from Fletcher Feed and Seed and the car stereo place/post office (how confusing is all that?   :Hap1: ).
I know Yellow Jacket has used a guy somewhere in Hendo/Fletcher too. PM him.
Good luck, I know you'll get er on. I'd like to know how you like it when you have time to review it.

edit:  Love your sig line!   -laf

Thanks, Mel :mol:! That's a good enough endorsement for me to try it out. And if it looks like I'm getting into trouble :wacko:, I can always take it to a pro to bail me out.

I think I might know which place in Fletcher you're talking about-- James Auto Upholstery. One of the guys at work had a seat cover in his Toyota repaired by them a couple years ago, and they appeared to know what they were doing. I shoulda figured they might be able to do cycle seats as well.

I'll definitely give the Seat Concepts kit a proper review when it's done. We gotta get this section back on its feet :ricky:.

Bryan
can't say much in 25 char

Offline Qwazert

• Bike: 2006 KL250H
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
I put a Seat Concepts cover on my DR a few seasons ago...it was fairly easy.
Use STAINLESS STEEL staples if you can get them!
Try to warm the cover before working with it; it will stretch better, will be easier to manipulate and the staples will penetrate easier.

If you can, try adding/sculpting a bit of foam to the base foam (if you're "handy" at that kind of thing)...even after installing the kit, I found the seat to be only a mild improvement...I still can't ride for more than an hour at a time. I wish I had added a bit more padding and sculpted it a bit wider...like a bucket seat...before finalizing it.
I guess I could always go back in and add to it....  :11doh:

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved