Username: Password:

Author Topic: Meet Kate...  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Jettn Jim

• Bike: Desiree'
Meet Kate...
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
Ok after learning that I can't zip zap across country every year on a thumper without losing an engine to bearing failure and after lightening my ol' faithful steed Desiree' up every year to make her more offroad worthy.

I finally decided to just quite the high mile cross continent riding and do more localized single track and lightweight adventure trips in the mountains. Some 2,500mi trips from the Pacific North West, British Columbia into the Rockies and back kind of stuff.
To this end I decided to drink the cool-aid and picked up a 2011 KTM exc 530!  haphap
It's the last year of this particular model, all the bugs worked out and the last year the 510cc engine was still carbureted, which for me is a PLUS in simplicity and mechanical reliability.

It feels like a mountain bike  with a 60hp engine!  :wings:
This one had lot's of mods done by the PO alot of them were cosmetic and are coming off everyday but alot were function, like desmog, upgraded stator, lighting, waterpump, clutch slave cylinder guard, GRP damper, a pair of 3.4 and 6.3 gallon tanks etc...

I have installed a Dirt Tricks 50T rear sprocket, picked up three ktm countershaft sprockets a 13-14-15t for gearing changes, a Dirt Tricks cs washer (better tension on the CS), TM Design Works Sliders all over the swingarm, new Protaper Contour high bars, 714 grips, wheel bearings front and rear, D-606's front and rear,  and just received the new HighwayDirtBikes Ultimate Guards and Scotts damper mounting  lowers with custom top clamp and billet dash from Paul yesterday for the soon to install Vapor.

Also installed a Globetrottin/RTE 9lb rear rack from Jim out in Utah and plan to hang a pair of Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddlebags on it for those camping trips into the mountains. I feel I can keep this bike light yet still go off HighAdventurTouring.

Will be fitting a Scotts damper from NomadGal when it arrives and a new Britannia fairing later this summer after Ian designs a new Lynx with the new Voodoo lighting set up!  :clap:

This thing will hit the rev limiter in the first two gears while your shifting up through 4th all during a wild azz 60mph wheelie!!!  :drooler:  It IS addictive! I bought it close to three weeks ago with 3,900mi on it and it has close to 5,000mi on it now.
Am slowly adding my upgrades and converting it to my perfect bike, just like I did with Desiree'.

Until I get farther into the build here are some pics, mostly from yesterday out in the State forest singletracking...

The day I bought it...

The track...

It goes straight toward the brightest sunlight between the tree's...

EXPECT LESS, ACCEPT MORE!

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
Re: Meet Kate...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
Congratulations!   :claps:  Looks like a blast, just a different rung on the ADV ladder.

I've been eyeballing my Concours sitting in the corner feeling lonely, and eyeballing my inbox full of ride invites for singletrack rides.... I know where you're at.

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:29:12 PM »
Haha yup a Connie got me back into riding again in 2008... all the dirt roads I found myself on got me onto the KLR... now progressing or regressing to child hood  :)) has me on the EXC.

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
Wow, it's a Natural Progression!

Offline SWKLR

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: '06 KLR Green
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:56:26 AM »
Nice looking ride! Those KTMs are pretty bikes...  :beer:
Well armored and filthy

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
Yes this beast is a little different being Austrian vs Japanese... has me relearning my habits.  Not as strange to me as my buddy Jenny's Ducati I must say though.
First week I fired the KLR back up and it was running in less than a rotation I believe... and she purred down the road so automatic and smooth... I was thinking what have I done!  :eek7:  That katoom ain't no KLR!  But after I settle down and remember that I'm changing courses again and after riding the katoom in it's element I remember that it's all goood and that I can let Desiree' go now.  :shog:

Life and the universe are showing me that I can take flight now and do the things I have been putting off... just had to ride all over creation on the KLR first to get that desire out of my mind.  :super:

Looking forward to what unfolds next and going further off the beaten path than I have been riding thus far.

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »
Sweet bike Jim!
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »
Sweet bike Jim!
Haha as is that Husky of yours!!! :banana:  Man funny the week the forum went awol we both took a different path.  :coollaugh:  :burnout:
These are close to the same bikes...

Offline Bernie

• Bike: 08 KLR 650
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 02:38:26 AM »
 :welcome: Kate

Offline Alpha One Nine

• Bike: A19
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »
Nice Bike Jim,   We should get together for a ride in the woods some time this summer.

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
Nice Bike Jim,   We should get together for a ride in the woods some time this summer.
Heck yea.. I should be out thataway Septemberish I'd say... Unless I join NomadGal for the Labrador Leg.  :deal:  :rayof:

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 06:17:02 AM »
Hey Jim

Congrats on the new bike !.. i heard on a distant thread that you disappeared deep into the Georgia landscape to find your new wheels. I was out on a ride in a place called sussex NB with a bunch of riders.. three   had KTM's.. needless to say i washed my air filter out when i got home  :smiler:

Looking forward to your experience as it unfolds...

namaste

~b~

Offline Gunny

• Bike: '02 and '05 KLR
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
Rode my brother in laws 690 ...... That was a mistake...... Excellent bike with dare I say it, great suspension. Not to fond of the fuel injection but twist the throttle an hang on. You got a great bike there Jim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Hondo

• Bike: K1300GT, 990 ADV, KLX450R
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
Nice bike Jim!

Offline Hurricane

• Bike: KLR 650,250,DR650,Tigers,
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »
Now that suits you to a TEE ! OMG  :wings: Not gonna get in another roosting the rear rider contest with you again !  SWEET !

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »
Thanx all you guy's!!!  :cooltu:  I'll havta post up some more pics... just put on a set of Wolfman Expedition bags yesterday, and am getting her close to set up now!  haphap

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved