International Forums > Australia & New Zealand

I am new to the forum

(1/3) > >>

Mick:
G'day all, my name is Mick and I am from the Shepparton, Victoria area,  I was given a link to check this forum out as I have just brought a KLR 650, had my first ride today for about 90mins and I love it, my bike has had a few things done to it by the bloke I brought the bike off with the 685 kit fitted and suspension done by ( choice ) plus a couple of other small things, I am keen to find out more good things to add to my bike and meet others on the forum.

I am planning my first big ride in 4 weeks to Louth, NSW I will be staying for a few days and then heading along dirt tracks towards Mildura, I am keen to read-get tips on what to take etc safety gear etc when in the outback areas.

Regards Mick.

klr zombie:
 :welcome:
As for safety gear, it depends on your situation.
If you have someone to monitor you while you are riding a Spot is essential for solo riding, if you have an accident and don't move they can call help for you.
If you travel in a group the an EPIRB is a good idea. Solo they are realistically useless to you as there is no one to activate it in an emergency, but should still be carried to signal help for others you might find requiring it.
Mobile phones do not work in most of the areas of Aust that are fun to ride, so don't ever rely on one to help you.

Good things to add to your bike,;
IMS 10 gallon tank, last year during the fires down your way I had to detour to get out of the forest, if I had a standard tank the bike would have been left to burn due to lack of range to clear the fire zone. It is interesting how many areas of Aust you require a range greater than 600 Km to be safe.
Strong bash plate so you can keep riding without worrying the plastic one will let rocks smash your engine.
And there are many other interesting and fun things to add just because you want to without having a need for them.
 :beer:

Bernie:
G'day Mick
 :welcome:

Mick:
Cheers Bernie

Mick:

--- Quote from: klr zombie on July 08, 2014, 05:15:39 AM --- :welcome:
As for safety gear, it depends on your situation.
If you have someone to monitor you while you are riding a Spot is essential for solo riding, if you have an accident and don't move they can call help for you.
If you travel in a group the an EPIRB is a good idea. Solo they are realistically useless to you as there is no one to activate it in an emergency, but should still be carried to signal help for others you might find requiring it.
Mobile phones do not work in most of the areas of Aust that are fun to ride, so don't ever rely on one to help you.

Good things to add to your bike,;
IMS 10 gallon tank, last year during the fires down your way I had to detour to get out of the forest, if I had a standard tank the bike would have been left to burn due to lack of range to clear the fire zone. It is interesting how many areas of Aust you require a range greater than 600 Km to be safe.
Strong bash plate so you can keep riding without worrying the plastic one will let rocks smash your engine.
And there are many other interesting and fun things to add just because you want to without having a need for them.
 :beer:

--- End quote ---

Thinking I will buy a Epirb anyway if I am to injured to turn it on then I guess I am dead so it does not matter, and like you say it might help someone else that needs emergency medical help.

Down the track if I like and keep the bike I will for sure look at getting a bigger tank as there is some areas of Australia I would love to ride through and I will need a big fuel range to do so.

Cheers Mick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version