Username: Password:

Author Topic: I need help picking out a twin cylinder KLR  (Read 10664 times)

Offline SM8084

• Bike: 2011 KLR
I need help picking out a twin cylinder KLR
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
More specifically I want a bike that will be much more comfortable on road trips than my KLR. What i'm looking for is info that I might not have thought of from you KLR owners with larger stable mates for road trips and touring. what you like about the bike you got, what you don't like, what you would have done different and why. I like sitting upright also, but no bike will be discriminated upon.

Also another thought I had was 685/705 kit Russel day saddle and other such upgrades to get the KLR more road cumf for the trips i know i wont be doing any heavyish off road stuff. 

I'm in debates with myself on this and am looking for some thoughts from people that have also done this or maybe researching and have found ideas i haven't.

I have posted this on advrider also so no need to double respond. Unless you want to.

Offline Hondo

• Bike: K1300GT, 990 ADV, KLX450R
Re: I need help picking out a twin cylinder KLR
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
So many choices for road bikes, you really have to ask yourself what kind of mission you are talking about-

Solo ride or with a passenger?
long distance?
All weather?
High speed over long distance?
Sporty handling or comfort?

I would look at the sport touring bikes like the Honda St1100/1300, Kawasaki Concours, Yamaja FJR1300, BMW R1100/1150/1200RT, BMW K1100/1200LT. Harley also makes touring bikes and don't overlook a Gold Wing....

Or you could get a naked bike (like a Honda Nighthawk) and add bags & a windscreen for long distance travel.

Adventure bikes like the big KTMs, BMW GS & Triumphs can also be ridden to the ends of the earth...

Offline steve

• Veteran Member
  • Bike: 2011 klr650
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
Wee-Strom.

sre
Professionally Pondererin

Offline SM8084

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »
okay my first post was kinda vague. I think i wanted to know coming off a KLR (cheap, reliable, Simple) what was your choice for cross country trips and why. I realize there are a ton of bikes out there but i'm more interested in what you chose and why. Maybe it might strike something in me I haven't thought of.

Offline Hondo

• Bike: K1300GT, 990 ADV, KLX450R
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
A Wee Strom is a good choice, thats foe sure.

ADVRider is good places to learn about more street oriented bikes.

Offline Spanky

• Bike: Blue '08
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:45:43 PM »
Veeeeee....Strom!     Yes...the big one! I am so close to pulling that trigger...! :drooler:
Zat choo, Buckwheat...?

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:48:43 PM »
Ain't a twin, but I got one.  First Gen Concours.  I prefer twins, but got that bike for sport-touring.  They're affordable, reliable, tons of goodies and info out there, good wind protection, and it's what I like in a bike.... frame, motor, tank, and a fairing.  Not a plastic blob.  Simple, carbuerated, you can work on it yourself.  I adapted to the 4-cylinder characteristics.  Love the bike, but I don't ride it much since I got the KLR. 

Great on the pavement, horrible off it.

My $.02

Offline Rustynut

• Bike: 09 klr, 12 800xc
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
Tiger 800xc, you will love the triple. Great for everything but I use the klr to beat on.
......safety third.....

Offline SM8084

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
The more i think about going from KLR to whatever i choose I'm thinking something not for dirt, it would be like going from a ford ranger to a 350 diesel and I would rather drive the diesel everyday if i had it. So I've at least cleared dual sports or advtourers from the list.

I realize this was kind of a weird question with it being more opinion based than anything but thanks for playing along anyway.

Offline steve

• Veteran Member
  • Bike: 2011 klr650
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »
Well, who won?  To be honest, I never actually understood what the contest was anyways.

sre
Professionally Pondererin

Offline Rooster

• Bike: 06 KLR 650 plus 3
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
 IMHO @ 56 bikes after 49 yrs w/ 4 in the garage & I am NOT wealthy. Just worked deals, trades & most were bought/swapped used w/ PO farkles on board. You've narrowed it down in this age of specialized niches (no dirt) which helps. Where are you located? Back in the SE w/ the Dragon, Warwoman Rd, Blue Ridge Pkwy, Cherohala Hwy, & a network of MANY other tight twisty tree lined roads with high speed sweepers in between, torque is a big plus (it's why motards & twins are pop) & weight is a BIG disadvantage. Plastic & service/parts are expensive! (Google the tree of shame @ Deals Gap @ the beginning of the Dragon.) Mtns are visible thru trees 5-10 miles away & you're on top in 20-30 min.  Now, here in NV mts are 80 miles & an hr away. There is no perfect bike BUT, to have only one the KLR is a GREAT choice. (I' had 3). You may ride it a bit slower but you WILL see/feel more of the ride instead of mostly dble yellow. Speed is perception & it's impression is dif w/ everyone. Swap bikes on a small, familiar group ride & the same riders are in the front, middle, & the back. It ain't the bike. Put sport elites or road runners on a KLR, enjoy the ride to the twisties, off load the stuff & go attack'em. Wide bars for leverage & min weight can do it all. How much can you spend? This genre of bikes go up fm there. If you're out west you'd prob benefit fm a mile eater because distances are much greater & w/ limited time it's best to haul between destinations. The ST11-1300, BMW GS's, R1150/1200RT's. are great. A bit wordy but part of my opinion. Good luck!!

Offline Rooster

• Bike: 06 KLR 650 plus 3
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »
FYI- the wee-strom is the 650.

Offline BamaDirtPilot

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR650, DL1000, GOLDWING
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »
If you are considering a WEE Strom, you might as well go VEE Strom, you will appreciate the xtra growl and it really doesn't use that much more gas...

I have a KLR650, Vee-Strom and a Goldwing in the garage now and the VEE is still my favorite bike.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Bike: 2001 KLR 650
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 06:19:44 PM »
Buell ULY's ROCK! DON't BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT NOT HAVING PARTS Available. simple and bullet proof and AMERICAN!

more than triple the HP of your KLR.. torq monster.. mine is an XT, more road friendly than the xb12X version.

my best video yet..
my last
KLR,

Offline SM8084

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 12:57:58 AM »
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with my own post. been working too much. I have it narrowed down to two bikes, the tiger or taking all that money and dumping it into my KLR. 705 kit, seat upgrade, the works. the issue that i'm trying to figure out now is with the 705 kit (or other) what does this do for vibes at 70ish MPH for freeway use. I have done this before in stock form and the bike did fine, but the vibes made me have to get off the bike every hour and half to two hours to de-vibrate.  even with the tiger i would plan trips that take me on back roads anyway. but the extra power of the tiger could make trips more comfortable blah blah blah.

oh and it really wasn't a contest. I just wanted to hear from KLR owners with multiple bikes is it really worth the money to own multiple bikes, and why.

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 04:43:29 AM »
wow.. expert work  :mol: :mol:    i watched both video's... and they both reflect the style of bike you were riding ...good job!

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »
Hello SM8084,

You'll spend a lot less upgrading your KLR than buying a new bike.
I've put about 50,000 miles on mine and it hasn't let me down.
I have a custom seat, highway pegs, grip heaters, a bigger front sprocket,
 a good luggage system and rox risers.
The next upgrade is a new shock. It's taken me from Alaska to Mexico.
Contact Jettn Jim for questions about highway riding with a 705 kit.

But I did get a chance (twice) to ride an 800xc tiger. Woo-Baby!

Alan
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 11:46:53 PM »
Buell ULY's ROCK!

Dunno about ULY's, but those videos rock!

GREAT work!  :mol:  :thumb:

Offline SM8084

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
defiantly enjoyed both vids.  I like things that can wear many hats. which i why i love my KLR so much. And thanks for the name, i was going to ask tonight who would be good to talk to about the kit.

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 05:10:03 AM »
 Eagle Mike has a 719cc bore available for the klr   :bugey: ... KLR world rider cherokee_chuck has one in his bike...might want to look at that if you need mega cc's from a thumper.

Offline SM8084

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:47 AM »
the biggest thing i'm looking at is dependablity. while the 719 makes a part of me smile the 685 kit i'm thinking is more to my liking. i can run low grade fuel and i keep the dependability of the motor. The money/HP jump from 685 to 705 doesnt seem to be equal. At least as far as i've read so far. still doing some looking.

Offline cjmadura

• Bike: 2008 klr650
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I use my 2008 KLR for commuting duties (~30 miles/day) and weekend warrior stuff only on occasion. I would like a twin cylinder bike to better tackle the on-road stuff (95% of my riding), but still have capabilities for the dirt ( WABDR in 2014 was a hoot!). I'm thinking maybe a 2012 BMW F650GS would fit the bill. With knobby tires, it would do well on forest roads, but the lack of spokes would make impacts a dicey affair. I really don't care for the F800GS, as it's a fairly pricey upgrade, and my KLR already shares the garage with my mighty BMW K1300S, a truly incredible road bike.

I love the KLR's simplicity, and I've farkled mine to the hilt, but I find it lacking in the world of pavement. I've got a few months to decide if I should invest in a better on-road bike (the F650GS), or go simpler and lighter with a DR650 -  a step backward in pavement, but a step forward in adventure(?). It would serve well as an around-town commuter.

It's a tough decision. Any advice anyone??? :think2:

Offline Gunny

• Bike: '02 and '05 KLR
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »
want comfy at a reasonable price, can't beat the cost or value of a used goldwing. Those rolling couches come with everything except A/C ( actually I think the 2015 has A/C} anyways, they run forever, get reasonably good gas mileage and a 1000 mile days isn't an issue, set the auto pilot, lean back and take a nap. Well, it feels like you could actually do that. I love mine, especialy because of the xm sat radio and being able to listen to the radio and my ham radio going down the slab.

Offline JV

• Bike: 2013 Tenere
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »
Since getting rid of the R1200GS the KLR is has taken over as the only ride in the stable. I've had a Wee and rode Valkyries for years and now the urge to have a long distance highway ride has come over me again.
Deep discounts on the Yamaha 2013 Tenere have got mind working. The newer model VStrom 1000 could be a choice also but the shaft drive of the Tenere has me leaning towards it.

Offline JV

• Bike: 2013 Tenere
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 08:35:21 AM »
Another one that I'd like to see and ride is the Honda NC700X. Maybe next year it will be the NC750X as they are already in countries outside the US.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved