Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2005 klr  (Read 2369 times)

Offline poor old biker

• Bike: fjr-bmw k75
2005 klr
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:28:48 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a 2005 klr. I know nothing about them other than it looks like it could be  a good on road off road bike. What is the doohickey that may need replaced? Will the charging system handle heated gear? Does the 2005 have issues  that I would be wise to let this one go and look for a different year? I ride a 2007 fjr and three 1992 bmws,do most of my own maintence. The bike I'm looking at has about 11000 mi. on it. Any advise would be apreciated

Offline steve

• Veteran Member
  • Bike: 2011 klr650
Re: 2005 klr
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
Most of the basics about the KLR are already compiled here:  http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

If you have specific info and\or questions about the one you're looking at, fire away.

sre
Professionally Pondererin

Offline Road2adv

• Bike: A19 2005 KLR
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a 2005 klr. I know nothing about them other than it looks like it could be  a good on road off road bike. What is the doohickey that may need replaced? Will the charging system handle heated gear? Does the 2005 have issues  that I would be wise to let this one go and look for a different year? I ride a 2007 fjr and three 1992 bmws,do most of my own maintence. The bike I'm looking at has about 11000 mi. on it. Any advise would be apreciated

Good morning,  poor old biker. :welcome:  Welcome to the forum, a good place with great people.   I also am  poor and kinda old. :gerg:

I have had my 2005 for about 5 years, great bike. I have had more fun on it then all the bikes I have been on since I got endorsed in 1975. They are a bit heavy with 6 gal of gas up high, about 230-250 miles per tank. The seat is a bit high at 35 inches, lowering links could lower it about 2 inches. But you would also not have as much suspension.

While not made for single track, some youngens do quite well on single track. I use mine for exploring all the State and Forest Service land here in the Pacific Northwest. There are a lot of bikes out there..........  depends on how and where you ride. The KLR  is like a Swiss Army Knife, it does everything well, not great. 

All issues are known, very easy to work on. Every kind of upgrade, and tons of after market things to make it your own.

"As Steve said> Most of the basics about the KLR are already compiled here:  http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html"
Great advice.     

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »
Being that you're already familiar with motorcycles, you'll prolly know a decent bike when you see one. And since you do your own maintenance, replacing the doohickey will be no problem. Who knows it may already be upgraded.

I have run the high output stator(300W) in the past along with a mosfet style regulator and it worked well. But I ended up removing the stator and reinstalling my old stock one when the wires on the high output one got brittle at the case pass through and broke. Don't know why they didn't last that long but anyways my stock stator with the upgraded regulator powers my heated grips and jacket just fine.

The 2005 is a solid bike and 11000 miles is a drop in the bucket towards what you can put on it.

KLR's are easy to ride and work on. Not to mention fun. I feel confident that if you got that ole 2005 it would serve you well and become your go to bike in that fine stable of yours.

iPhone Tapatalk
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved