Username: Password:

Author Topic: BELLA COOLA, Who's been there?  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Yellow Jacket

• Bike: Super Sherpa,XT350, DR650
BELLA COOLA, Who's been there?
« on: January 19, 2016, 03:39:38 PM »
Since this is the time of year that many are planning there next adventure ride I thought I would bring this up. I've thought about this ride for almost 40 years, just never made it happen. Like many here, I planned my trips to places that were out of the way, like, way out of the way. Bella Coola qualifies, however I've got too many years on me to do it now. I've never read a ride report to this place. So, by posting up here maybe someone will do it or has done it and will do the RR. Bella Coola is about a 275 mile dead end ride, unless you opt for a ferry ride to Port Hardy.  That would make a very nice loop. Somebody think about this and see if it could happen. Here's a link   http://bellacoola.ca/    Just don't think too much about that waterfall, it's an overnight hike to get to it.
Someone step up and do this.

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
Re: BELLA COOLA, Who's been there?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:35:45 PM »
Wow, until you mentioned Port Hardy, I thought that must be in Costa Rica or some such.....   :Hap1:

Offline kmcneil

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 05:15:50 AM »
Not yet, but a group will be riding TCAT, from Horseshoe Bay back East to Saskatchewan minutes June this year!

Offline kmcneil

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:16:49 AM »
minutes - mid ahhhhhh

Offline Yellow Jacket

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »
Just searched ADV for Bella Coola. Wow, lots of stuff there, enough to take me several days to read it all.

Offline Dave S

• Bike: '15Weestrom '06WR450Fv
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »
Check out ADVRider ...I remember seeing a RR with pics on that area ?? also some great RRs into the coast range from Lillooet BC
ATGATT +change fuel often

Offline bellacoolarider

• Bike: 2013 KLR 650--DRZ400SM
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
Bella Coola is a great ride. I did it 2012 with some friends. We went up Lillooet through Gang Ranch, Big Creek and Lee's Corner which one of the last places to have a good burger and pie before continuing.  If you have the chance, try to go to Chilko lake (Long ride). It's is a beautiful lake. You will be in Grizzly country now.  Charlotte Lake is another great spot and it's about 3 hours before Bella Coola. Before Bella Coola you will be up in the mountains so they way down is full of switch backs which makes it a great descent. There are a couple of Lodging places in Bella Coola and campgrounds as well. If you go in September, you can watch the Grizzly bears feeding in the Atnarko river. You can go by yourself or you can pay about $ 100 for someone to take you and your friends on a raft and watch the bears even closer.  I believe that the ferry to Vancouver Island from Bella Coola only runs twice a week now. Feel free to ask me any questions. If I don't know the answer, my friend Karl's parents live there so they will know it.

Offline Yellow Jacket

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:39 AM »
Thanks for the update BCRider. Sure wish I could have made that ride in my younger days. Also thought a lot about a trip to the Queen Charlotte islands. Anyone ever been out there? I'd like to hear about that too.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved