Username: Password:

Author Topic: Four Corners, Four Days, Part II  (Read 3043 times)

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
Four Corners, Four Days, Part II
« on: October 10, 2014, 01:00:06 AM »
On back south towards the Rez, looking back to where the road (191) crosses the San Juan.  Pubic trees.

On across Navajo-Land, some cool rocks, I expect they're volcanic plugs.

Well, here's where my uncanny ability to look at a map and look at the countryside and determine exactly what was happening and what went where... umm... didn't work out.  It must have been a flaw in Navajoland.  Or something.

Heading south on 12 past Round Rock (half the names around here have "Rock" in them, does that tell you something?) road 13 heads east from Lukachukai, that's the one I wanted.  I had a crummy Navajoland map, as I hadn't taken the proper, very good, highly detailed, wonderful Benchmark (tm) maps for that area with me.  (Ok, you can send the check now). 

Anyway, I though all the way along that the 13 road must go around the mountains, as that was the most obvious route.  I came to a place that I thought might be Lukachukai... no signs, maybe not, maybe I missed 'em. And there was a major ridge to the east, didn't see any way a road would go up that.  Onward, but got to Tsaile (it had a sign and that's also the place that has a goat in the parking lot), and the 64 road junction was way off what he map said... avoid cheapo maps.  (Did I mention Benchmark?)

Anyway, it's back to Lukachukai.... the road headed east and should have been 13.... yup! This is 13.

Glad I don't live in that trailer.  Ok, so the road takes a crook up the valley...it wasn't as obvious as here, it looked more like the last picture.  Note how the bottom part of the hill is red, the upper part white.  Pretty dramatic geologic thing happening.

Lower part, red rock stuff....

Steep climb up, much steeper than it looks here.  Redrock down below, white mountaintop to the right.

On top.

I'd hoped I'd get this view of Shiprock.  Love these big landscapes!  About 25 miles away.

On down the other side.  Really narrow mountain range, but a very cool one, something new to me.  On to Red Valley.  Wonder why they called it that?

Volcanic country... a little plug.

The mother of them all, Shiprock, south side.  Not only the rock, but a couple monster volcanic dikes extending for miles outward.  Hot molten stuff oozing up through a big crack, with Shiprock being the main place the stuff squirted up.

Another view.  I'd been here about 35 years ago, took the same pictures, was as totally blown away as I was now.  Awesome stuff.

Just to prove I was really there, didn't just suck the photos off the web...

On back to Angel Peak, an easy, nice  place to get to for to spend the night.

Sunset.  Love these trees.

Breakfast.  Didn't want to backtrack to Bloomfield, and heading south the next prospect was for... lunch.  So it's Ramen, with onion and peppers and a good dose of steak rub. That's the main cooking kit, cutting board, fork, spoon, cheap Coleman pots with dish soap, olive oil, a big pocket knife, lighter, steak rub, and a copper scrubby.  Fry pan, coffee stuff, Whisperlite stove and vice grips for a pan handle.  Been carrying vice grips on my belt for about 40 years now, feel naked without 'em.

Getting ready to leave.

Whoa!  A horny toad!

On down the road.... here are the Jemez Mts., the main road to Albaturkey goes around the south side.  The town of Cuba is about in the middle of the picture (don't try to pick it out, it's hiding).  From Cuba a road goes straight east up and over the mountains.  Much more fun than the slab.

I decided to get wild and crazy, and following my wonderful Benchmark maps decided to go north and up the mountains from that end (left side of the photo).  New country.

So it's pavement up through Regina, there was a store open there, and the Nice Lady had a can of green chiles for sale.  Cool!  I had a roasted-green-chile deficiency, for sure.

Needed to find Forest Road 76, that's the turnoff I wanted.  Yup, this is it.

Through the mountings.

Needed to hook up with FR103... yup, here it is.

Then a coupla junctions, I wanted to stay on 103.... yup, we're good.

Onward.

Ok, I know where I am....

Have I mentioned my intolerance for idiots with guns? 

Came upon this nice ramp in the middle of the road.  A bit short for my use, but it sure is nice. 

Will this work?  Nah.

How about this?  Nah.

Oh well.  Leave it for somebody else... 

Nice little valley with water.

A burn.  Green things popping up....

Ain't this sweet?  Young feller lying in the nice cool grass.

...but to each his own.

Teakettle rock.  Yeah, right.

Oh, there it is!

Turned a major mileage.

Fun road.

Made it to familiar places, this is above La Cueva (cave, cellar, den).  I'll camp up on the mesa tonight.  GREAT breakfast at the place at the junction in La Cueva. 

Now this is nice.  The road sign had fallen off, but somebody put it up on top so folks could still see it.  I guess there's a different kind of people down at this end of the mountain.

Lots of sick Ponderosas, weakened by drought then fair game for the beetles.

Camp.

Building a fire, got sucked into our small-town newspaper...

...but I can relate to this!

Ok, built the fire, opened up the chiles with a trusty P38, scarfed up from the Forest service about 40 years ago.  (The can opener, not the chiles.)

Camp shot.

Another, tortillas, cheese and chiles waiting for the meat. All spread out on my kitchen counter.  Life is good.

Next morning headed out.

This is scary! A "barberchair" that resulted when some idiot, for some unknown reason, decided to fell a nice big healthy Ponderosa.  They obviously didn't know anything about cutting trees. Didn't look like a simply stupid firewood cutter, looked more like vandals to me.  (I've run into both working for the Forest Service). I hope that scared the sh*t outa them when that thing split, if not flung their saw across the road and ruined it.

On down the mountain and into the canyon that has Jemez Springs (some hot springs and an awful lot of spiritual retreats, Catholic and Zen).  It also has Jemez Peublo (keep out, don't take photos) that has a lot of Pueblo folks living there.  This is a nice cottonwood at the Ranger Station, much more impressive in real life.

Just above Jemez Springs is the Soda Dam. 

On down the redrock canyon....

Down to San Ysidro, then the slab to Bernalillo, then 4 options to get home.  Slab south through Albaturkey (yuk), slab north to 2 dirt-road options over to home (one ok, one good)  then the fourth (which my dim brain picked up on at the last minute) is a road through Placitas, which goes straight east then up a canyon on the back side of the Sandia's, comes out on the Crest Road halfways to the top.  Then I can go down towards home.

The road.

Stopped at the "Sandia Cave", or the "Sandia Man Cave" as it's sometimes known. "Sandia Man" lived there a gazillion years ago, but it's really controversial as to the exact figure.  My extensive research says "a gazillion".  Anyway, the entrance is that little brown patch up on the ridge.  The "Sandia Man" cave is not to be confused with the many Sandia area "man caves", of which I have one.  That's where I keep my KLR.

On down the road again.

The area is very close to Albuquerque, and is tightly controlled.  For the most part, I don't bother to go up there anymore....

Another road shot.

Way back when, my wife-mate and I used to drive my '59 VW bus up here from Albuquerque and drink some wine and cook dinner at this overlook.  Had no idea we'd end up living where the arrow is.

Down the Crest Road, the grass is Sandia Peak Ski Area.  The tram from the west side ends up at the top, as do the ski slopes on the east.  Nice, with a restaurant at the top.  If you're ever in town, it's a great ride, pretty dramatic.

Last shot... almost home.

Offline steve

• Veteran Member
  • Bike: 2011 klr650
Re: Four Corners, Four Days, Part II
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »
It's kinda funny to me that you can ride for hours and maybe days and still turn around and see you're house.  :smiler:

Very neat ride report.

sre
Professionally Pondererin

Offline Mel Brooks

• Veteran Member
  • Bike: KLX 351 & Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »
Enjoyed Parts 1 and 2 very much. Thanks  :clap:
:burnout:

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
Great RR(both parts) trialsguy  Love the pics of the open terrain  :thumb:
Sad to see you have the same issue with sign shooters out there  humph1   

Thanks for the report!

Offline Spanky

• Bike: Blue '08
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
So close....I get the sweats when I see an Ortega product. I dang near married the young Virginia...heiress to the Ortega fortune. She is now fabulously wealthy...married a HS buddy. They live in one of those "small" villas south of Santa Fe and drive Beemers.  Whooo....close one!   I could be riding a KTM now....!    :eek7:
Diggin' the ride reports and photos! 
Zat choo, Buckwheat...?

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
 great reading!! :thumb: I was purposely keeping your thread on hold until i could dive in and net surf NM to fill in some huge knowledge shortfalls i have of your home land area.

I googled a few spots on the report like the Sandia Peak Ski Area/..  today{ Nov 21st} its showing 50 deg f and 2 inches of snow...then this site which clearly divides the state into northern,central and southern. HERE .

what terrain options... very nice.

Thanks for taking the time to post up..looking forward to your next adventure   :burnout: :burnout: :biker_h4h1:!!!

~b~

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
We're quite varied as to the weather, I think any part of the state can go from nasty cold/snow/ice to "aaahhhhh... " bright sun on a whim.

We have lots of terrain variation too, but Utah is much more varied.  From Moab redrock to monster mountains.  Used to live up there.

I'm sure looking forward to the next ride.  Winter hit very suddenly here, about the time that Daylight Savings went away.  My commuting stopped abruptly.  But come spring, Big Bend beckons.  :biker_h4h1:  This time I have a backroad bike, not a Concours or a Honda CRX car, like before.

Offline Vishnu

• Bike: KLR and KTM 500 EXC
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »
Oh Weee, you had a big time!  With all those chilis, how's the rectum?

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
Oh Weee, you had a big time!  With all those chilis, how's the rectum?

Hey, it's used to it!   :thumb:

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved