Username: Password:

Author Topic: Moab On a Whim- 2013  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Hondo

• Bike: K1300GT, 990 ADV, KLX450R
Moab On a Whim- 2013
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:03 PM »
June 3, 2013

I usually go to Moab every year with a bunch of KLRWorld folks, but this year nobody could make it.

But I still wanted to go.

I didn't really want to go by myself, when out of the blue hughesatron (Ryan at ADV) posts up that he & a friend are riding there & want to do the White Rim Trail. I want to push my KLX450R & that's the perfect ride to identify weak parts of any bike.

So on Friday morning I load the KLX450R onto the Kendon trailer, throw a bunch of gear in my truck and head west for Moab.

As I enter the mountains I see- snow up ahead-

There were light flurries over Vail Pass but that was it.

I came south from I-70 from the Cisco exit as I love entering Moab through Castle Valley & along the Colorado River-

I pulled into Moab & stopped at the Motel 6 on the north side of town. The rates were decent, the rooms were nice & the staff very nice-

I got the bike unloaded and took off for Castle Valley to see if I could find Ryan & Shawn at their campsite in the Fischer Towers camp. They had not arrived yet so I took a few pics at sunset-

I went back to town & after dinner I picked up some local cylindrical units of bubbly beverage substance -

Offline Hondo

Re: Moab On a Whim- 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »
The White Rim Trail

(many of these photos were taken by Ryan)

In the morning I prepped & met Ryan & Shawn at a local gas station where we gas up & briefed the ride.

Neither Ryan nor Shawn had ridden Moab before and Shawn was very new to off road riding. They both had KLR650s and fortunately for them, they had good dirt tires.

As they were new to this, we talked about the proposed route and decided to enter the trail at Mineral Bottoms. My thought was that if Potato Bottoms was sandy, it would be best to get the sand out of the way while we were fresh.

So we headed down the switchbacks -

I had talked to Fred at Arrowhead motorsports the night before about the trail, and he had not heard any intel on it. He did say that it had rained a few days earlier and that that usually keeps the dust down & the sand packed.

When we got done with the switchbacks, we found that the sand was really deep in Potato Bottoms. I washed out the KLX in the deep sand / silt - Shawn came over & helped me get the bike back up-

The trail along the river-

The first third of the trail had a lot of sand- more than I had ever seen before. So we all got pretty good, pretty quick!

Here are some trail photos -

I love this bike!

Ryan & Shawn -

The weather was very nice - the high was 82 F & the skies were clear & calm. The views were magnificent as usual -

Offline Hondo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
More trail shots -

Can you see Ryan & Shawn?

Shawn riding up Murphy's Hogback -

Ryan was right behind him -

Go Ryan!

Offline Hondo

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 06:22:09 PM »
I really love Moab!

The KLX450R was awesome! I ran the fans when slow & the coolant temp never exceeded 170F. Beauty shot -

Shawn rockin' the White Rim- he did an awesome job for a new guy!

Can you tell that he was having fun?

The Garmin 600 Montana & Ram mount were fantastic. I loaded some tracks that I found in the GPS section and used it to monitor our progress-

another great photo by Ryan-

Me & Shawn climbing the trail-

Pic O me-

We made great time on the trail - I'm ready to go!

Offline Hondo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
Ryan took a ton of photos-

He was having a great time too-

So I said to Shawn, "What the hell is Ryan doing up there?"

Happy Riders, Happy Trails -

The Sheafer Switchbacks - We took Potash Road back to Moab-

The Potash Road was super smooth & the potash ponds bluer than ever-

Shawn saved Ryan from being squished-

And last but not least, a Colorado River overlook shot-

The trip was short but sweet- thanks for posting up the ride guys!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved