Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any Hunters? I want a new knife.  (Read 4819 times)

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
Any Hunters? I want a new knife.
« on: November 01, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
Hi guys.
I need the voice of experience here.
I'm looking for a good knife to field dress small to medium game.
I don't have any experience with a gut hook though. Are the tough to sharpen?
I've been checking out Gerber's Myth field dress kit. http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001159-Includes-Piggyback-Style-Sharpener/dp/B00836HLMI/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414889118&sr=1-3&keywords=field+dressing+kits
Not sure I need to carry two knives but I like the integrated sharpener.
I currently have a good fixed blade but don't only farkle the KLR  :naughty:

Thanks, Alan.
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline Road2adv

• Bike: A19 2005 KLR
Re: Any Hunters? I want a new knife.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 08:05:45 AM »
Hi guys.
I need the voice of experience here.
I'm looking for a good knife to field dress small to medium game.
I don't have any experience with a gut hook though. Are the tough to sharpen?
I've been checking out Gerber's Myth field dress kit. http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001159-Includes-Piggyback-Style-Sharpener/dp/B00836HLMI/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414889118&sr=1-3&keywords=field+dressing+kits
Not sure I need to carry two knives but I like the integrated sharpener.
I currently have a good fixed blade but don't only farkle the KLR  :naughty:

Thanks, Alan.

Looks like a god set, should do what you need to do. :smiler:

I haven't hunted in a few years but...................  got my share of deer.  I always carried two knifes,  A larger folding  Kershaw, a fixed blade Normark and a hone steel. Two knives........ if one gets dull or fouled...... you don't transfer the bad stuff to the rest of the meat..... I can clean it the right way at home. My hone steel has a pointed wedge on one end that I use with a small rock to split the pelvis,  making a better and cleaner job of cleaning.

I still remember as a teenager (a bit longer in the tooth now) shooting my first deer sitting on a hillside with pages torn from a outdoor mag. trying to open and clean the deer the correct way.  I got it done,  :think2: :thumb:

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline Road2adv

• Bike: A19 2005 KLR
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
Another thought... or half thought. :gerg:

Always use binoculars to look at things. Yes they are heavy, cost real money and will just get lost, but .............. the value becomes apparent when you look a something and you see that it is a person looking back with a scope and you know where the cross hairs are.  :ace: :yikes:

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
I've had limited dealings with a gut hook but they aren't hard to sharpen with a round diamond sharpener like the eze lap
]like this. The tool works good for touching up a blade in the field as well. I made a hunting knife with a gut hook years ago and the hook was easy to work with as far as sharpening.
I rarely hunt any more but always had good luck with a medium to small knife.  I have a Buck 102 Woodsman that fits in the tank bag or coat pocket and is handy cleaning fish or as a camp knife. It would do well cleaning game also.  It's tiny but a sweet knife in a classic Buck style. If you want to try I gut hook knife a have a vintage Old Timer with a gut hook I'll send you. It's a nice knife knife and not very big.

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
Thanks guys.
I never thought about binoculars. I have had a few bullets fly past me but not on purpose... I think  :joker:
That's a great offer Mac, but I don't have anything coming up till at least spring. 
The fixed blade I have now is an OldTimer. Favorite knife ever.
I think i'm going to order that Gerber set. I've always had good luck with their folders.
Just trying to justify the purchase.   :))

I'll let you know if I get it.
Thanks again, Alan

Offline Gunny

• Bike: '02 and '05 KLR
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
I've used my swiss army knife to dress everything from the rabbits I raise for meat to whitetail deer, granted it's a pain to wash but the wife doesn't mind me wiping on the kitchen curtain, well not much at least, I'll let you know how she really feels about it when I move back out of the camper in the spring .....

Seriously though, there are several good small skinning knives out there, all good. I have a schrade skinner I've had for year. Small, maybe 4 inch , curved blade, sturdy, easy to put an edge on etc. The curved blade makes it easy to lay your finger along the blade to get under the skin. Good price, maybe $25

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
LOL. Hope that camper is warm.  :poke:

Thanks Gunny.

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »
I've used the same knife for 36 years...a small Kabar that I got from from my dad when I turned 12. Only a 4" blade but has worked on everything from wabbits and squirrels to elk and bear.

iPhone Tapatalk
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
I was looking and looking but I think I'll just keep the one I have.  :thumb:

Offline Gunny

• Bike: '02 and '05 KLR
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
Can't be a Swiss Army knife, used one for years for everything from squirrels to deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rlbarton

• Bike: 2000 klr650
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 09:54:22 PM »
I'm kind of a gear guy`.I buy a lot of hunting and riding gear , use it and sell the stuff that don't make the cut . I've had some pricey knives in the past and sold the majority soon after the don't live up to the hype . Here in the Midwest we hunt a lot of small game for table fare and what I've come down to are two knives  used in regular rotation depending on the hunt . A vary good knife for small game up to smaller deer and including catfish cleaning would be the Grohmann #2 trout and bird knife. if you have larger hands the #1 may serve you better. GREAT knife and learn to sharpen properly down to 8000 grit wetstone. The second mentioned but first in my heart is a Nessmuk style  knife. Can be purchased from C.T Fischer knives but I like finding an original out of the 1800's, There still out there, read about this knife in George Washington Sears book Woodcraft and Camping. I have used this style of knife for a very long time and nothing out there has even come close to it in usefulness , balance , edge retention , or pleasure and honor of being it's current caretaker . It's a bit of money , but will pay dividends for your , and your children\grandchildren's , lifetime .  Have a simple leather sheath made , allow the patina to develop ,keep it sharp and it will turn into one of your prized possessions . hope this may be some food for thought..  Ride safe,,,Rick

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »
Wow. Thanks Rick!

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »
Yea Rick. Great info and insight there. Got me thinking. 

iPhone Tapatalk
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline akrider

• Bike: klr650
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:40 AM »
helle  small for small game and a helle gt or safari for large game  (excellent knives and really easy to care for),  otherwise a gerber gator (own since 1992 over 20 white tails gutted/de- bonned, countless birds and 3 moose).

Offline blackheart

• Bike: KLR
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 10:04:29 PM »
I carried the Greyman Satu titanium folder on two deployments.

Its expensive but feels reliable and solid in your hand.

Offline Dave S

• Bike: '15Weestrom '06WR450Fv
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 02:23:54 PM »
++ on the Gerber line of cutlery ..I have a very basic 3" folding Gerber, not sure the model name, (sold in Wallyworld), has a very grip friendly rubber handle and decent covered belt-case.

Used it for splitting kindling, gutting small game and fish. Upside is very strong metalurgy in the blade, but once dull its a job to get the edge back.

Happy Hunting
ATGATT +change fuel often

Offline Crunchmeister

• Bike: 1987, 1998 KLR 650
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 05:07:33 PM »
Rick's right, Nessies are nice, especially if you have other edged tools to do bigger work. Depends on what your metallurgical preferences are for starters, and what feels good in the hand. For example, my son loves his BRKT Rising Wolf in S35VN. A smallish tool in tough stainless that allows him to dress multiple deer and elk without resharpening, but resharpening can be a chore. He just keeps it stropped between uses and minimizes that necessity. I like the old Marbles designs myself, especially the Woodlore. I also prefer American made, or Japanese, then German and some Taiwanese. Can't be bothered with most Chinese cutlery.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved