The Riding Forums > Camping Gear

Any Hunters? I want a new knife.

(1/4) > >>

ajeli:
Hi guys.
I need the voice of experience here.
I'm looking for a good knife to field dress small to medium game.
I don't have any experience with a gut hook though. Are the tough to sharpen?
I've been checking out Gerber's Myth field dress kit. http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001159-Includes-Piggyback-Style-Sharpener/dp/B00836HLMI/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414889118&sr=1-3&keywords=field+dressing+kits
Not sure I need to carry two knives but I like the integrated sharpener.
I currently have a good fixed blade but don't only farkle the KLR  :naughty:

Thanks, Alan.

Road2adv:

--- Quote from: ajeli on November 01, 2014, 07:55:44 PM ---Hi guys.
I need the voice of experience here.
I'm looking for a good knife to field dress small to medium game.
I don't have any experience with a gut hook though. Are the tough to sharpen?
I've been checking out Gerber's Myth field dress kit. http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001159-Includes-Piggyback-Style-Sharpener/dp/B00836HLMI/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414889118&sr=1-3&keywords=field+dressing+kits
Not sure I need to carry two knives but I like the integrated sharpener.
I currently have a good fixed blade but don't only farkle the KLR  :naughty:

Thanks, Alan.

--- End quote ---

Looks like a god set, should do what you need to do. :smiler:

I haven't hunted in a few years but...................  got my share of deer.  I always carried two knifes,  A larger folding  Kershaw, a fixed blade Normark and a hone steel. Two knives........ if one gets dull or fouled...... you don't transfer the bad stuff to the rest of the meat..... I can clean it the right way at home. My hone steel has a pointed wedge on one end that I use with a small rock to split the pelvis,  making a better and cleaner job of cleaning.

I still remember as a teenager (a bit longer in the tooth now) shooting my first deer sitting on a hillside with pages torn from a outdoor mag. trying to open and clean the deer the correct way.  I got it done,  :think2: :thumb:

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Road2adv:
Another thought... or half thought. :gerg:

Always use binoculars to look at things. Yes they are heavy, cost real money and will just get lost, but .............. the value becomes apparent when you look a something and you see that it is a person looking back with a scope and you know where the cross hairs are.  :ace: :yikes:

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

MacGyver:
I've had limited dealings with a gut hook but they aren't hard to sharpen with a round diamond sharpener like the eze lap
]like this. The tool works good for touching up a blade in the field as well. I made a hunting knife with a gut hook years ago and the hook was easy to work with as far as sharpening.
I rarely hunt any more but always had good luck with a medium to small knife.  I have a Buck 102 Woodsman that fits in the tank bag or coat pocket and is handy cleaning fish or as a camp knife. It would do well cleaning game also.  It's tiny but a sweet knife in a classic Buck style. If you want to try I gut hook knife a have a vintage Old Timer with a gut hook I'll send you. It's a nice knife knife and not very big.

ajeli:
Thanks guys.
I never thought about binoculars. I have had a few bullets fly past me but not on purpose... I think  :joker:
That's a great offer Mac, but I don't have anything coming up till at least spring. 
The fixed blade I have now is an OldTimer. Favorite knife ever.
I think i'm going to order that Gerber set. I've always had good luck with their folders.
Just trying to justify the purchase.   :))

I'll let you know if I get it.
Thanks again, Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version