Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2 Day Walkabout on the RT  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Hondo

• Bike: K1300GT, 990 ADV, KLX450R
2 Day Walkabout on the RT
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
05-28-2010

I had a few days free so I decided to do like Crocidile Dundee would do if he had a R1150RT -

Go walkabout through Colorado & New Mexico.

i had never been through Northern New Mexico, so the plan was to leave the Denver area and slab it south to Raton, New Mexico, then turn west.

Here's my trip map -

I headed out and immediately rode into very strong winds. I stopped in Walsenburg, Colorado to take a break- the locals reported the winds gusting to 50 mph and I'd guess it was every bit that.

After a break, I continued south and turned west once I reached Raton.

The road I took was part of the Sante Fe Trail -

A long & lonely road shot -

Riding west I passed through the town of Cimarron and entered the Cimarron Canyon. I stopped at this incredible pull off -

A tourist took my pic -

I stopped before descending into Eagles Nest, NM- this is overlooking the town -

The wind was still ripping, creating white caps on Eagles Nest Lake.

I decided to stop for lunch -

Hamburger steak, mashed potatoes & green beans was the special -

From there I suited back up and rode to Taos. I stopped south of Taos when I saw the Rio Grande Gorge in my mirrors -

The Gorge -

From Taos I rode south enjoying the light breezes. The temperature was perfect- approximately 70 degrees.

I rode south to Sante Fe and got a room at a Days Inn- cheap and easy. After a good dinner I turned in early anticipating an early start.

In the morning I packed up my gear and headed north. It was another beautiful day with clear skies, cool temps and NO WIND!   :wings:

I stopped on 84 to check out the scenery -

A bit farther north I had to stop again- the beauty of New Mexico was shining today.

These formations might one day become arches (like those in Moab, Utah) -

On the other side of the road, looking east -

And looking north, my road ahead -

Just a bit farther north I stopped at the Echo Amphitheater -

Soon I was seeing the southern Colorado Rocky mountains -

i think this one of the most beautiful days I have had the privilege of riding in -

After a quick lunch in Pagosa Springs, I rode northeast towards Wolf Creek Pass and South Fork, Colorado.

On the way up the pass -

I just love to see signs like this -

At South Fork I turned north towards Gunnison via the Silver Thread route. It continued to be a glorious day for riding with perfect temps, clear skies, light traffic and the wildlife stayed off the road -

I stopped at the lookout near the top of Slumgullion Pass.

Looking to the west at the San Juan Mountain Range -

to my right -

And in the distance -

I fueled up in Gunnison, Colorado and continued east.

There was still a lot of snow on the mountain tops- here I stopped at the Monarch Pass summit -

I descended down to Salida, Colorado and paid a quick visit to Hayduke and Bonnie Azbug- great to see you two!

From Salida i rode north towards Buena Vista, CO and stopped for a sunset photo -

My ride home was cool but uneventful.

It was a great 2 days!

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
Re: 2 Day Walkabout on the RT
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »
wow x 2 ... very beautiful spots Hondo... i like the map layout at the beginning it gives a pro touch to the route details. Did you do a screenshot to a image host then post? What was the total trip milage?

Offline Hondo

• Bike: K1300GT, 990 ADV, KLX450R
Re: 2 Day Walkabout on the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
wow x 2 ... very beautiful spots Hondo... i like the map layout at the beginning it gives a pro touch to the route details. Did you do a screenshot to a image host then post? What was the total trip milage?

Don't recall the mileage for the route.

I did a screen cap of the map and then used my photo/draw program (PhotoImpact X3) to create the color lines.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved