Username: Password:

Author Topic: Another way to sleep in a tree  (Read 2531 times)

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
Another way to sleep in a tree
« on: December 25, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »
A different twist on sleeping in the trees.  www.tentsile.com/     :think2:

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
Re: Another way to sleep in a tree
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
Ok, I'm probably whacking a hornets' nest here, though this is a serious question.  Basically, what are the advantages of a hammock over a tent... given that they're probably lighter and smaller to pack. 

My tent is quick to set up and has room for the important gear if it should rain (please do!   :claps: )

I'm a hammock ignoramus...  my only experience has been with some big yard hammocks that were very uncomfortable after the first beer.   :beer:

Offline Road2adv

• Bike: A19 2005 KLR
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 12:12:38 AM »
Ok, I'm probably whacking a hornets' nest here, though this is a serious question.  Basically, what are the advantages of a hammock over a tent... given that they're probably lighter and smaller to pack. 

My tent is quick to set up and has room for the important gear if it should rain (please do!   :claps: )

I'm a hammock ignoramus...  my only experience has been with some big yard hammocks that were very uncomfortable after the first beer.   :beer:

Many of us call them bear pinatas. Makes it easy for a bear to slap them until the candy comes out.  Very hard to use on flat treeless places. Many Park Rangers get visibly upset if you scuff one of their trees....... and they can be very cold at night as the cold comes through the bottom.  Seasickness from people walking by at 2am and having some fun.

I hope that everyone had a great Christmas day.

Ride safe. Change the gas often.   jerry

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 05:58:39 AM »
Both tents and hammocks have their advantages. I've been camping in a hammock for about 5 years in 7 states and love it. The biggest advantage for me is the quality of sleep, it's been better than any bed,any place. After a good day of riding, a night in the hammock by a mountain stream or lake is just icing on the cake. It took a while to get the gear sorted out but that wasn't a big deal. In the summer and warm weather, a hammock sleeps cooler and the slightest breeze is felt. In cold weather without the right gear a hammock is COLD. After trying different options I have camped down to 26 deg. and been quite warm. Finding a place to hang is no big deal in this part of the country. I've only had to sleep on the ground one place and that was at TDP, where the campground is a large field. At this place I put up a pole, strung up the tarp and slept under it. Packing size, my hammock setup is similar to a tent however if it's raining out I have more room to sit out a storm as well as a dry place to pack up the bike. I use wide straps to hang with and have never had a park ranger show any signs of a problem, they have always been quite nice and several were interested in the hammock setup. Someday I hope to go to South Dakota and visit the Black Hills and Badlands,I will probably take a tent for this due to the lack of trees but have a hammock along as well.   
   Hammocks aren't for everyone though. Some have tried them and go back to sleeping on the ground but for what I do, it works out great. The design in the link I posted isn't something that would work for me but it is something unique and may interest others.    :beer:

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
Thanks for posting up... good to see what is evolving out there.

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
Thanks for posting up... good to see what is evolving out there.

And I thank folks for the replies.  I'm pretty ignorant about 'em.    :puzzled:

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved