Username: Password:

Author Topic: So what tent do you use?  (Read 5238 times)

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
So what tent do you use?
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:29:42 AM »
Let's start a thread on the type of tent you use when motorcycle camping. I know many here have and do camp off the motorcycle and I'd like to gather up some of that knowledge for anyone who may be interested in doing the same. There's no wrong opinions here...just let us know what you like/dislike and any suggestions you have.

:thumb:
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline oldstove

Re: So what tent do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
I'm currently using the Eureka Backcountry 2. They are discontinued now, but I've found it to be a decent tent. Waterproof(with fly installed), lightweight, packs small. Its fine for 1 person with some gear. Shock corded multi-section aluminum poles fold small. It all packs into a 6"x15" sack. Forest green hides decently in the woods if that's what you're shooting for.

It's served me well however I'm starting to think about hammock camping.

Offline Road2adv

• Bike: A19 2005 KLR
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:54:29 AM »
My tent is a old backpacking tent that I bought 25 years ago, and is in rough shape........  but, have you seen the prices of the new ones?  Would love to find a 2-3 person tent with head room..... must be free standing....... and not expensive.

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline SWKLR

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: '06 KLR Green, '11 DL650
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »
I currently have a Wally World special... a kid's tent that measures 6 feet by 3 and is about maybe 4 feet tall at the peak.

Advantages:
 - Small, light and packs up small.
 - I'm just less than 6 feet, and can sleep in it kitty-corner wise.
 - Has some space for gear.
 - Cheap

Disadvantages:
 - No vestibule or whatever they call it. The door is unprotected.
 - Small.
 - It's very small. I can fit, but barely.
 - Did I mention it is very very small. Cannot stand up in it.

The main advantage of this tent is its price... being for kids, I think it was about $30.
I am in the market for something slightly larger, but this tent has worked well so far. Just needs to be a bit bigger.
Well armored and filthy

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »
REI Campdome 2.

I like that it's freestanding, no stakes.  No vestibule, but it's been many moons since I camped in real, long-term rain.  This is great/weatherproof for every rain/storm I've been in.  I often take an old fly from another tent for added shelter, but have only used it for wind.  Quality is good except the zipper is a bit cheesy.

By big complaint is that the specs say 88" long... I'm 6' and if I lay down, my head is just against one end, my feet against the other.  So I sleep kitty-corner, still have room for all my gear.  I can't figure how they got 88".

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »
I use the Slumberjack Trail Tent 2, which can be seen in the picture provided.
I like to keep all my bike gear in the tent with me at night. It has plenty of room.
Packs up small enough to carry on a bike. Also can sleep my wife and I with our jackets and helmets comfortably.
That tent has been all over the place and has held up very nicely. The price has gone up a few bucks though.
I bought it in 2011. It's a very easy tent to set up. Probably spent 50 nights in it.
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline Road2adv

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 08:14:19 PM »
Both the Slumberjack and the R.E.I. both look good. I'm going to look at them closer in the next few weeks.

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline Spanky

• Bike: Blue '08
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 06:19:02 PM »
And you have most of the food groups covered for din din!   :snork:
Zat choo, Buckwheat...?

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »
 :naughty:
The night before that was a granola bar and Mt. Dew.
Woke up so hungry I tried to eat a pinecone. Luckily the store opened up.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:03:14 PM »
 :rollinglaugh:
Zat choo, Buckwheat...?

Offline Spanky

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 12:12:53 PM »
My son bought a Bass Pro single tent for me a couple of Christmas's ago ...with the best of intentions! This thing is terrible. You have to load yourself into it feet first which is fine unless it's wet outside. Now the bag is wet inside. Trying to get in the sleeping bag inside this thing is easy if you are 4 foot tall, weigh 85 pounds and are a contortionist with the circus. Turning over...? Ain't gonna happen unless you can levitate at an altitude of 3 inches....then spin. But I should suffer in silence....I've had every opportunity to replace it. But I am cheap and already have a tent....!   :Aarrg:      :))
Zat choo, Buckwheat...?

Offline oldstove

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »

Here's my tent from a trip with Mac last year. It's a Eureka Backcountry 2 man tent. Now discontinued but a good size for one person. Packs small.

iPhone Tapatalk

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 04:18:42 PM »
I almost bought that Eureka tent but nobody local had it in stock so I could look at it.
And they didn't want to order it just so I could look at it.
That is the only reason I went with the Slumberjack.

Offline Road2adv

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 10:03:44 AM »
I use the Slumberjack Trail Tent 2, which can be seen in the picture provided.
I like to keep all my bike gear in the tent with me at night. It has plenty of room.
Packs up small enough to carry on a bike. Also can sleep my wife and I with our jackets and helmets comfortably.
That tent has been all over the place and has held up very nicely. The price has gone up a few bucks though.
I bought it in 2011. It's a very easy tent to set up. Probably spent 50 nights in it.

I bought the Slumberjack tent yesterday.  It looks like something I can live with. Wanted the 3 person.......... but at 24 inch long pack size, compared the 2 persons 20 inch long pack size......... my bike already looks I carry everything that I own.  The 20 inch pack size will fit in a pannier, the 24 inch will not. But there was only $10 difference in price at a local store.

I hope that the will stop freezing at night so I can give it a try............... maybe a few more days. :ricky:

Thanks for the good advice,    jerry

------------------------
Ride safe. Change the gas often

Offline Dave S

• Bike: '15Weestrom '06WR450Fv
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »
For several years I have been using an "on sale" Coleman Summerdome @$45.00, roomy enuf for one with space left over for gear and a tarp to suspend over the tent ..the combo gives me a big stand up area where I can park the bike tight beside the tent and still have room for 1/2 a picnic table ... so even in rain, i can cook and dine dry. The first tarp I used was a 12x12 heavy duty silver unit, and then I found a good deal on a Kelty Noahs Tarp 12 which is a lot lighter, and has many more grommets/connection points..the Kelty was $65.00 ( hahaha on sale too). Pros of a two piece system ...lots of sheltered dry space, way less costs than a specialty tent with drive thro' bike shelter, the option to use one or the other or both to suit weather conditions. Cons ..the tarp requires close proximity to trees or cut poles for attachment points and it takes a bit more time to rig up the combo of tent/tarp.

Anyone who has sat out a multi day rain storm can appreciate the advantage of having the extra space provided by a tarp.

ATGATT +change fuel often

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
Sweet. I hope it works as good for you as it did for me.

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »
Anyone who has sat out a multi day rain storm can appreciate the advantage of having the extra space provided by a tarp.

Funny how for some of us Western guys, the idea of a multi-day rain is .... wha????

Vestibule?

I really wish I needed one....

Hammock?  Whazzat?

Bob in the drought-stricken SW where there's usually nothing to tie your hammock to....   haphap

Offline oldstove

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 10:50:10 PM »

Several years ago I met Mac in southern Virginny for a few days of exploring. It had been pouring rain as I got close to our campsite. Mac had set up tarps not only over his hammock but also over an area for me to pitch my tent and over the picnic table that was at the site. It was a Godsend to arrive at the camp and be able to set up in dry areas.

We spent the next few days in and out of rain having a great time exploring, but what made it comfortable was those tarps! Excellent thinking and planning Mac!!

iPhone Tapatalk

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »

Aye!  I certainly can appreciate that.  It's really nice to be snug and warm and dry when it's not snug and warm and dry *right out there*.

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »

Several years ago I met Mac in southern Virginny for a few days of exploring. It had been pouring rain as I got close to our campsite. Mac had set up tarps not only over his hammock but also over an area for me to pitch my tent and over the picnic table that was at the site. It was a Godsend to arrive at the camp and be able to set up in dry areas.

We spent the next few days in and out of rain having a great time exploring, but what made it comfortable was those tarps! Excellent thinking and planning Mac!!

It was nice hanging out in a dry camp after all the mud and slop we rode in. Kinda like being pampered!  :jkam: 

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved