The Riding Forums > Camping Gear

Hammock suggestions

(1/5) > >>

oldstove:
In an effort to reopen some camping gear discussion, I'd like to start a couple threads on the camping gear we use when we're out and about. First one up here is concerning hammocks.

I'm hoping that those of you who hang can give some input on the general advantages/disadvantages of the hammock, styles you use, and any suggestions to those of us considering crossing over to this swing sleeping you like so much. Any information and tips are appreciated. Maybe throw in a link or two for further research as well.

:thumb:

rarepartbuilder:
Hi Old stove.. I got a Hennessy hammock for Christmas and put it up for the first time at the end of Dec on a "nippy" -15c  day.

The observation i made after crawling into the -20c rated mummy sleeping bag  for a "try it out "nap was  the wind was whipping the rain tarp/ cover up pretty high during gusts and i was thinking that if it "was" raining it would enter the sleeping area.

i'm suggesting for any other hammock newbies to consider upgrading to a more weather tight hammock "rain cover" when making the original purchase.

stock set up {gotta say i was comfy }:

hammock by freewillieklr, on Flickr

This is what i spied for "more" rain protection.. LINK HERE

this site has some cool DIY hammock gear .. and was recommended to me  by the local hardcore campers....  http://diygearsupply.com/

oldstove:
Really nice set up RPB! And that Superfly tarp looks like its got all the angles covered. Wonder if a similar sized tarp might provide the same coverage a bit cheaper. Albeit heavier I'm sure.

Did you find it more comfy than a sleeping pad and bag inside a tent?

MacGyver:
I have two cheaper tarps that have held up well for 5+ years. My main tarp is the Chinook 12x14 . It can be staked down to the ground (to look like a large pup tent) when the weather is bad and it's like having a huge tent. They were a lot cheaper when I bought mine but the price still isn't bad for what it will do. If the weather is warm, just hang it high and lift the sides and the breeze blows through with ease.
 The other tarp I have is this one . It was about $25 and works well during the summer or as a spare tarp if someone needs a dry spot.
The hammock I use is an ENO double nest. There are nicer hammocks out there but this one has served me well and the price was not too bad.
  With my current setup I'm good down to at least 26 degrees but as I get older it gets a bit more difficult to enjoy the low temps.

Here's the Chinook the night it got down to 26.

rarepartbuilder:

--- Quote from: oldstove on January 20, 2015, 05:45:01 PM ---Really nice set up RPB! And that Superfly tarp looks like its got all the angles covered. Wonder if a similar sized tarp might provide the same coverage a bit cheaper. Albeit heavier I'm sure.

Did you find it more comfy than a sleeping pad and bag inside a tent?

--- End quote ---

comfy for sure... no pressure points. I have a 6" x 12" container {looks like something you would put food in} with a snap lock lid that the whole hammock fits easily into.

I'm at a stage where in a tent .. even if i use an air matress ..the dampness from the ground seems to migrate through everything and i ache... from the dampness.. i'm really hoping i can gt that issue resolved...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version