Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hammock suggestions  (Read 5961 times)

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
Hammock suggestions
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:22:13 AM »
In an effort to reopen some camping gear discussion, I'd like to start a couple threads on the camping gear we use when we're out and about. First one up here is concerning hammocks.

I'm hoping that those of you who hang can give some input on the general advantages/disadvantages of the hammock, styles you use, and any suggestions to those of us considering crossing over to this swing sleeping you like so much. Any information and tips are appreciated. Maybe throw in a link or two for further research as well.

:thumb:
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
Re: Hammock suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
Hi Old stove.. I got a Hennessy hammock for Christmas and put it up for the first time at the end of Dec on a "nippy" -15c  day.

The observation i made after crawling into the -20c rated mummy sleeping bag  for a "try it out "nap was  the wind was whipping the rain tarp/ cover up pretty high during gusts and i was thinking that if it "was" raining it would enter the sleeping area.

i'm suggesting for any other hammock newbies to consider upgrading to a more weather tight hammock "rain cover" when making the original purchase.

stock set up {gotta say i was comfy }:

hammock by freewillieklr, on Flickr

This is what i spied for "more" rain protection.. LINK HERE

this site has some cool DIY hammock gear .. and was recommended to me  by the local hardcore campers....  http://diygearsupply.com/

Offline oldstove

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
Really nice set up RPB! And that Superfly tarp looks like its got all the angles covered. Wonder if a similar sized tarp might provide the same coverage a bit cheaper. Albeit heavier I'm sure.

Did you find it more comfy than a sleeping pad and bag inside a tent?

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
I have two cheaper tarps that have held up well for 5+ years. My main tarp is the Chinook 12x14 . It can be staked down to the ground (to look like a large pup tent) when the weather is bad and it's like having a huge tent. They were a lot cheaper when I bought mine but the price still isn't bad for what it will do. If the weather is warm, just hang it high and lift the sides and the breeze blows through with ease.
 The other tarp I have is this one . It was about $25 and works well during the summer or as a spare tarp if someone needs a dry spot.
The hammock I use is an ENO double nest. There are nicer hammocks out there but this one has served me well and the price was not too bad.
  With my current setup I'm good down to at least 26 degrees but as I get older it gets a bit more difficult to enjoy the low temps.

Here's the Chinook the night it got down to 26.

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »
Really nice set up RPB! And that Superfly tarp looks like its got all the angles covered. Wonder if a similar sized tarp might provide the same coverage a bit cheaper. Albeit heavier I'm sure.

Did you find it more comfy than a sleeping pad and bag inside a tent?

comfy for sure... no pressure points. I have a 6" x 12" container {looks like something you would put food in} with a snap lock lid that the whole hammock fits easily into.

I'm at a stage where in a tent .. even if i use an air matress ..the dampness from the ground seems to migrate through everything and i ache... from the dampness.. i'm really hoping i can gt that issue resolved...

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »

It looks like i should get an auxiliary tarp for the colder weather. I like the pup tent idea.. as it gives a place to keep  "things" out of site .. not that i ever had any problems with theft while camping. Do you think that the 12 x 12 would make the pup tent or is it cutting it too close to enclose the hammock?

Offline MacGyver

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »

It looks like i should get an auxiliary tarp for the colder weather. I like the pup tent idea.. as it gives a place to keep  "things" out of site .. not that i ever had any problems with theft while camping. Do you think that the 12 x 12 would make the pup tent or is it cutting it too close to enclose the hammock?
It should work but may be a bit cramped. One way to find out is to hang your tarp as low as you can and still clear the ground. Take a 12ft pc of rope and string it over a ridge line and see how it does for clearance. On each end of the tarp I use two of these tarp clips to hold the ends closed at night. If I have the tarp high for warm weather I just put gear in the tarp so it can't be seen from outside. If a thief wants something they'll come up and snoop around anyway. 
A contractor's bag(large, super heavy duty leaf bag) is good for several things. Can be used to stand on to change clothes if the ground isn't fit, put gear/items in if moisture is an issue,ground cloth for parts/tools if needed while working on the bike,emergency poncho. I rarely use mine, but always have it with.

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
good tips  :thumb:. I see the tarp clamps in the hardware stores all the time. only a few months till any kind of real biking can happen here.. i cant wait to try this set up out .

Offline oldstove

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
Having camped with Mac on several occasions I can say that he has one of the best camping setups I've seen. He manages to have the complete setup, lacking nothing, all in a pretty minimalist approach. Can't wait to get back to doing some more exploring with you!

Offline MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:26 PM »

Can't wait to get back to doing some more exploring with you!
Yessir, looking forward to it.   :thumb: :ricky:

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »

You guys don't get uncomfortable sleeping like a banana all night?

I want to try one but think my lower back would be killing me in the morning.
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 05:18:13 PM »

Never been a problem with me, it's the best sleep I've ever had. I've had lower back pains over the years(L4& L5) doing certain things but never an issue with the hammock. Occasionally I'll lay on my side but usually just lay on my back and I'm fine. I did notice when I put the Exped Synmat mattress in it made things a bit flatter so if you had an issue with the hammock an air mattress may help. I only use the mattress in colder weather.     :beer:

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »

Its possible to lay flat on the area of the hammock somewhere between diagonal and perpendicular to the  trees your suspended from.. If you want to get a bit more bananna effect just go more diagonally.

Come on over  and give it a try... i could use some more practice to cut down on my set up time  :smiler:

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
Ok. Wait where do you live again?

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:10 PM »
Just head over to the Atlantic ocean... then follow the coast to the red balloon.

Screenshot 2015-02-07 at 10.36.41 PM by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Offline Road2adv

• Bike: A19 2005 KLR
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
Just head over to the Atlantic ocean... then follow the coast to the red balloon.

Screenshot 2015-02-07 at 10.36.41 PM by freewillieklr, on Flickr

How deep is the snow out there about now? :poke: :duel: Might want to wait for a few weeks................ if not then post some photos. :bugey: :aparat:

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »
Sweet. Just a hop, skip and 3,000 mile ride. I'll be right over!

Offline Spanky

• Bike: Blue '08
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 08:24:32 PM »
Slow down in Oklahoma...I'll ride up there with you Alan!
 After a few high speed get offs over the years dirttracking my back is toast. Ruptured discs....twice broken coccyx. Minimal discomfort now due to some fancy cutting and stitching... I think some of the better nights sleep have been in hammocks. I do pull the ropes a bit tighter to straighten things out and the reverse banana should never be considered as an option!  :))
Zat choo, Buckwheat...?

Offline rarepartbuilder

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »

How deep is the snow out there about now? :poke: :duel:
Ride safe. Change the gas often.

In the wooded area where there is no wind.... im guessing 30" of snow.. open area's.. umm deeper..

Slow down in Oklahoma...I'll ride up there with you Alan!

Spanky.. i should put some extra helium in that red map balloon so there will be time for you two to  organize the ride this way! Right about now im wishing someone would pull along a open umbrella to drag some warmer air .. you know,, get things moving towards spring thaw!!!

Offline Gunny

• Bike: '02 and '05 KLR
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:03 AM »
The hennesey hammock is a bit different in that you actually sleep pretty flat. I've had one a couple years now and I actually love it. The fly cover, while seemingly small, actually does a good job in a rain storm if you lower the angle a bit. I opted for the next size larger fly that covers much better and doesn't require being adjusted to keep rain out if really blowing. if you live in the PNW where heavy rain is an issue, they have a fly that provides even more cover and encloses the ends as well, basically making it a suspended tent.

Offline MacGyver

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
I had a rainy day on a recent trip so I backed the KLR under the tarp. This pic shows how the bike can be loaded in the rain. The tarp was hung a bit low but loading was still doable.

This pic gives an idea of the room under the tarp. In the gear hammock is my riding jacket, pants and camelbak,. The tarp is hung high enough that I can stand up inside.

Offline Gunny

• Bike: '02 and '05 KLR
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
once again the hennesey works well in a down pour. rained buckets the other night and things stayed dry. The only other real choice for a durable hammock would be the clark hammocks but those things start at about $400

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved