Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water...filtering and storage  (Read 4179 times)

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
Water...filtering and storage
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:44:41 AM »
There seem to be many approaches to gathering water for the campsite. From water filtration systems to bringing your own. Tell us about your preference and how you store fresh water while travelling and at the campsite. This includes filter pumps, store bought water, storage bladders...

:thumb:
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline SWKLR

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: '06 KLR Green, '11 DL650
Re: Water...filtering and storage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:07:24 AM »
I've been eyeing one of those filters that filter out everything including viruses, but haven't talked myself into pulling the trigger just yet. So for now, I use a camelbak plus an additional 1/2 to 1 gallon of home-pumped or store-bought water (1/2 to 1 gal depending on season, where I'm going, how long, etc). This puts me at just short of two gallons on-board. Which is none too much... plenty for a 24 hour stretch but I do need to refill pretty much every day. In an emergency situation where I'm not moving, I can make it last two days. Need to figure out a mechanism for carrying more.

The problem with the filter approach where I live is there is far too often no water to filter.
Well armored and filthy

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »
......The problem with the filter approach where I live is there is far too often no water to filter.

You got that right!   :Hap1:

I carry quart jugs, like gatorade bottles, though now I have some cherry juice bottles that are squarish, carried in the pannier, with one in the tank bag.  6 jugs is good, 5 ok, 4 is cutting it close.  Fill up at quicky-marts at about every opportunity.  Only a couple times have I not been able to do that... once the Nice Lady said "You don't want to drink that" when I asked if I could fill up at the sink.  The other time was just west of Big Bend (Presidio?) where the quicky mart didn't have water at their soda machine, but the Nice Lady said I could sneak into the laundromat and fill my jugs there, but don't tell anybody she told me, if I got caught.  That was weird.....

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »
I typically buy bottled water when I'm travelling away from home camping. Only problem is the flimsy bottle not to mention tough to pack. Well that and it's costly. How about something like this for storage...http://www.rei.com/product/733950/msr-dromedary-bag-6-liter

I've camped with Mac a few times and he's a big fan of filtering his own wherever we end up. What kind of filtration gizmo do you recommend Mac?
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:35:22 PM »
Glenn, I don't know if any are better than the others but I've had the Katadyn Vario for several years and it has served me well. A friend has an older Sweetwater filter that has been a good one also.
 My filter came with a 3 liter water bladder that resembles the one in a Camelbak. It was done well but last year I bought one of these in 4 liter, it is NICE! Places to strap it to the bike, very rugged and accessories for things such as a shower.
 If it's late and I'm near a dollar store or grocery store I may buy a gallon of drinking water for $1 just for the convenience but usually I don't want to carry the extra weight/bulk. The filter has allowed me to stay in some awesome places and not worry about having a spigot nearby.  :ricky:

Offline Road2adv

• Bike: A19 2005 KLR
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
I used a PUR Voyager(discontinued) for years for backup when the bottled water ran out. Replacement filter is about $48..... not going to happen.   I now carry a Sawyer mini ($19)  and have looked at the Life Straw filter.

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »
When I was traveling up north I had a liter bottle of water in my pannier for emergencies.
I bought it for $1 and had it stored upright in the corner of my pannier which was getting a nice layer of Dalton dust inside and out.
There was just enough room that the vibration from the Dalton Highway made it spin in place until it wore a hole in the bottom.
When I got back to Fairbanks it had been raining for a while so I didn't think much of the water dripping from the bike.
I was so tired after the ride from Prudhoe bay I didn't open that pannier until the next morning.
Every map I had gotten since British Columbia and a road atlas was ruined.
Live and learn.

I have a 3 liter camel pack and a sturdy 1 liter travel bottle from Target for camping.
*Because where I camp there isn't any water.
Alan
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline Fireplug

• Dedicated Member
  • Bike: KLR 650
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »
On a large scale campout, I like to use the "Filter of Hope".  Small, light, no moving parts, lasts about 10 years and filters down to 0.1 microns.  So you can use lake, stream, pond or puddle water and it will filter it.  Oh, did I mention it only costs $40.   :super:  www.filterofhope.com

Sawyer has a smaller version that performs the same way called the "Sawyer MINI Water Filter" for $20.  Walmart has them.

Offline Jettn Jim

• Bike: Desiree'
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 06:12:24 AM »
I've been using a Gravity Works 4L kit which lets me have 4litres clean and drinkable right away then I can store 4L more in the 'dirty bag' for later. Usually let that one hang off the bike and take the clean 4L into the tent. I have a 3L backpack that I can also store water in which gives me almost 3gal available, packs up small and adds very little weight. For even more storage I have been known to carry an additional 4L collapsible bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/866422/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-4-liter
EXPECT LESS, ACCEPT MORE!

Offline Gunny

• Bike: '02 and '05 KLR
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 04:33:34 PM »
Most know my background, that being said, I tend to be a minimalist of sorts. I generally carry a two day supply of water when I'm out an about unless I'm road tripping an can get water at gas stops. For extended stays in the bush I carry a couple 15ml bottles of bleach, three to four drops per liter and you're golden, drop it in, shake it a few times and everything in the water is now dead, viruses included. I do have an MSR waterworks filter for my Nalgene bottles and it fits the filler on my dromedary bags but frankly I don't use it all that much unless the wife is along and then it's more to make her feel good than it is to clean the water up. Remember, most your filters will not remove viruses from the water, they only remove bacteria ( most of them} one 15ml bottle of bleach with an eye dropper is enough to treat 25 gallons of water.

Offline Road2adv

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
Most know my background, that being said, I tend to be a minimalist of sorts. I generally carry a two day supply of water when I'm out an about unless I'm road tripping an can get water at gas stops. For extended stays in the bush I carry a couple 15ml bottles of bleach, three to four drops per liter and you're golden, drop it in, shake it a few times and everything in the water is now dead, viruses included. I do have an MSR waterworks filter for my Nalgene bottles and it fits the filler on my dromedary bags but frankly I don't use it all that much unless the wife is along and then it's more to make her feel good than it is to clean the water up. Remember, most your filters will not remove viruses from the water, they only remove bacteria ( most of them} one 15ml bottle of bleach with an eye dropper is enough to treat 25 gallons of water.

+1 on the bleach for water. Remember, let the water stand for at least 30 minutes before using (time for the bleach to work). If the taste or the smell is too strong, let the water stand open as the chlorine dissipates quickly. The larger the container opening, the faster the the chlorine dissipates. 

Offline Gunny

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »
bleach is a contact oxidizer, put it in and shake it a few minutes and it's ready to drink. You can let it sit though to get the smell out. Most have the time to let it sit awhile. I like mixing in some instant tea, keeps it from tasting like city water.

Offline Road2adv

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 10:50:10 PM »
bleach is a contact oxidizer, put it in and shake it a few minutes and it's ready to drink. You can let it sit though to get the smell out. Most have the time to let it sit awhile. I like mixing in some instant tea, keeps it from tasting like city water.

Just quoting FEMA and the Clorox company's web sites. I've used it only once.....  tastes better then Iodine. :duel: :lamer:

Ride safe. Change the gas often.

Offline Gunny

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
It's a disclaimer sort of thing, I started using it back in the early 80's at JEST school . Iodine takes a long time but essentially does the same thing but isn't always available. You can get bleach just about any place.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved