Username: Password:

Author Topic: Noob sez hello!  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Qwazert

• Bike: 2006 KL250H
Noob sez hello!
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »
Greetings!
Noob from BC Canada...new Sherpa owner. 2006 with 7600kms.

Been riding for over 10 years now, started on a CT90...moved up to a TW200, then bought a 2010 DR650. Sold the TW earlier this year and bought a Sherpa to replace it.
Just insured it this past Thursday and took it for a "test run" up a gnarly old FSR in the area.
Did a front fork service today and noticed that the PO had the fork tubes about 1" above the tree...which is probably why it was kinda twitchy on the road portions of yesterday's ride. The rebounding was also set at about 10, which would explain why it sunk down so far when I got on it...I'm not a HUGE man, but this thing really sunk!
Then I remembered it was his girlfriend's bike so he had probably set it up for her...now it's set up for ME!
I set the rebounding to 4 which makes it noticeably stiffer....it doesn't sink as low when I get on; and with the forks back at the proper level, the whole bike sits higher than before! I also added a couple of 3/4" washers as preload...we'll see how that works out.

I have some questions regarding this model, but I'll wait a bit...browse the forums and see if I can't answer them myself, with all the information available.

Offline BakonMoto

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: '01 Super Sherpa
Re: Noob sez hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »
Welcome, Qwazert :welcome: :beer:!! Super Sherpa and a DR650-- my choice for utility dual-sports as well  :ricky:.

If the forks were positioned up in the triples, you might check to see if there is also a set of Kouba lowering links for the back end also installed on the cantilever linkage (or whatever the kids are calling it these days), and replace them with OEM links, which should be available from Ebay or places like that.

If you want slightly stiffer, yet more compliant forks, Progressive Suspension makes springs (11-1136) that are usually listed for the KLR250, but will also fit the Super Sherpa. And if you go that way, or even if you don't, it won't hurt at all to replace the old fork oil if it hasn't been changed in a while. You can use synthetic automatic transmission fluid (like Mobil-1 Full Synthetic ATF) as the fork oil, which will last a good long time. There was a great write-up on on changing the fork oil before the great server crash about a year or so ago, but if you do a Google search, or visit the YahooGroups Kawasaki Super Sherpa listserv, you should find info that will help.

Or ask more questions here.

Bryan
can't say much in 25 char

Offline hotshot

• Bike: 2006 klr 650 92,500 miles
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
 :welcome:  :biker_h4h1:
Pushing for 100,000 miles

Offline Qwazert

• Bike: 2006 KL250H
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies....
As far as I could tell, there were no lowering links...I think the PO did this "on the cheap" by eliminating the rebound dampening and raising the forks. It honestly sits at least 1" taller now...doesn't feel like a "girl's bike" anymore  haphap
As suspected, the magnetic sensor-thingy was broken when I removed the front wheel; although there are still two small portions of the tabs that engage the rotor enough to keep the speedo working...but I'll have to replace it for sure!
I used Mobil1 synthetic ATF for the front shocks...don't know how much difference it will make because the old oil wasn't that bad...looked like ATF as well, so it must have been done once before.

Anybody here got plans/blueprints for a decent rear rack? I've seen the offering from Borrego, Denali and Moose and don't care much for those designs...looking for something along the lines of the Pro-Moto Billet racks, already have one on my DR and it's great. Looking to BUILD something myself though...but having a tough time figuring it out.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved