Username: Password:

Author Topic: 16 days on the road - the Oz KLRRR 2015  (Read 10506 times)

Offline oneblackdog

• Bike: 08 KLR650
Re: 16 days on the road - the Oz KLRRR 2015
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 01:56:42 AM »
And the afternoon rolled gently & warmly on... out of the rocks and into the sand

road carved into the sand and seemingly stretching forever

a few lonely hoof prints on the sand

Really. Yes, the sign really meant it, and I needed the warning

tufts of grass and a tree lined creek-bed

more gibbers

As the sun was getting low it was time to find some-where to camp. Through a tree lined creek bed and follow a side track....

Camp site on the banks of Providence Creek

Not a lot of providence today, but.... "how's the serenity"

Sunset through ghost gums, Providence Creek

Another fire to light the night and cook dinner

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »
The next day.... more holiday. On to Innamincka today and then 2 easy days ride home.

But first

Cordillo Rd is a rocky road

Cordillo Rd, SA. Smooth, fast, rocky

a gate (entrance to Cordillo Downs Station), sandy road carved out of gibber plains

gibbers, not a lot of nutrition

to Innamincka, but first

a bit of history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordillo_Downs
http://www.southaustralianhistory.com.au/cordillo.htm

the shearing shed, Cordillo Downs Stn

shearing shed wall - note old lintel & window filled in. I missed that episode of Renovation whatever...

a little bit of history

KLRs ready to roll again

sand & rocks, rocks & sand

road building is simple out here

road, dry weather only

mob of cattle

surprisingly, there where a lot of bends in the road

:biker_h4h1:

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 02:18:31 AM »

cattle yards

join the main road to Innamincka

heading out, to Innamincka

And we rode.... out of the rocky grazing lands and into the sand.

Info display at the entrance to the Innamincka Regional Reserve

There's a bit more to see out this way. Next time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innami...gional_Reserve

And the sandy road snakes through the dunes, and we snake all over the sandy roads. Hard packed turns to deep loose, wheel tracks go left, right, left... I stood/sat on the tent/sleeping bag, for as long as my knees could handle it, to stop the bumps from hitting my back, plus I just find it smoother that way - let the bike dance around beneath me, push & lean a bit, use the height for better visibility. Look up, Power up, Stand up.

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2016, 02:27:28 AM »
.... and the day just rolled on through the sand....

Rob adjusting air pressure

Old cattle yards in the red red sand, Innamincka Regional Reserve

Newer cattle yards up the hill from the old ones.

but KLRs can't be rounded-up

... and the road rolled on, and we rolled on

More emptiness, Cordillo Rd, north of Innamincka

The sandy road got more & more chopped up the closer we got to Innamincka. More holes, more wheel ruts in the loose sand, more bull-dust - lots more bull-dust. Lots of standing, eyes to the distance, hanging on loosely, and POWER, then relax and repeat. I'm most of the way through the largest bull-dust hole.... cough, cough, splutter.... PANIC... reach down & flick to reserve.... splutter, cough, roar.... wobble and through...

:clap:

... and a few corners later we were in Innamincka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innami...outh_Australia

Did the usual - fuel & food, and as we had some daylight left went out to visit Burke's Memorial (one of many intrepid 19th century explorers who thought that this vast land was for the taming & taking).

http://www.burkeandwills.net.au/Memo...rave_burke.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_...lls_expedition

Monument to Robert O'Hara Burke who died somewhere near here in June 1861

It looks quite peaceful today...

:standing_by:

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2016, 02:31:01 AM »
Stroll a long the river bank and back to the bikes.... that funny smell - not oil or petrol, not burning.... a little pink dribble...

the dreaded "cracked radiator"

Release the pressure and ride slowly back to the campgrounds. There were a few more words spoken and a lot more words thought... 

I had metal putty and stop-leak with me (as I knew it was about my turn) and got some carby cleaner, a toothbrush & some distilled water from the shop - they have just as much mechanical stuff as food.

And a little while later...

Better than new

:thumb:

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 07:35:38 AM »
Great report, pics and history! Amazing how wide open that land is. 
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »
That was Friday or maybe it was Thursday - whatever, it was holiday. Graeme had told his kids he would be home on Saturday (and he'd never been away for 2 weeks before), so he had an early night. I put the fairings back on etc and had camp food, while Rob & Gabe went to the pub... or something like that  I may have gone to the pub, or I may have just drank cask port. Or both.

Graeme did ride home in one day. I never promise to be home by a specific day, but my kids are teenagers...

Rob, Gabe & I left at a more civilised time and headed out of town on the usual thickly traveled road with lots of wheel track and large gravel ridges...

Not far out of town is the turn off to the "Dig Tree" on Nappa Merrie Station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_...lls_expedition
http://monumentaustralia.org.au/them...wills-dig-tree

and it even gets a mention on tripadvisor
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...d.html#REVIEWS

My back was still quite sore (and I visited last time I was out this way) so I waited at the intersection while Rob & Gabe did the 30km round trip.

Still gibbers & sand, with a few scattered grass tufts. And mesas in the distance.

Still gibbers & sand, with a few scattered grass tufts. And mesas in the distance.

Still more gibbers & sand, with a few scattered grass tufts. And mesas in the distance. And a tree.

Still gibbers & sand, with a few scattered grass tufts. And trees trying to use the little water that runs into the gully to grow.

Stunted but hardy bushes - certainly not enough for a "shrubbery"

And then we rode east....

Big wide road (the Adventure Way) to Brisbane, only 1400km to go

And so we rode, still on holidays, still an adventure, but on the way home... Some dirt, some bitumen...

A dust cloud ahead... must be some roadworks - extending this bit of bitumen... back onto the dirt, dust cloud gets bigger.... oh.... Truck. Only 2 trailers on this one. And lots of bull dust. Rob zooms by and I move up to take my turn, the truck driver kindly pulls to the side. The upwind side. The road ahead is barely visible, just glimpses of red through the red bull dust clouds. It looks straight, so I take my chance and open it up wide (probably in 2nd gear) then change up and hang on - cloud of dust, sand drift, bull dust hole, wheel tracks and I'm ahead. And on the wrong side of the road, in the wheel tracks with very large ridges of sand and gravel between. Then the road turns... over a crest... I can't see any dust clouds in the distance so I stay in my lane for, well it seemed like a minute or three, until it was straighter and smoother and safer to change lanes.

And on we rode.

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »

And we rolled gently east.... some hardy shrubs, a bit of grass, a small escarpment or three, a little dried up creek... the road was all bitumen now - mostly single lane, but a few stretches of double lane for overtaking. But the there was no-one to overtake. Getting home was just a formality now. The holiday rolled on, but the adventure was over....

Not quite a town, just gas infrastructure

This place collected gas from the wells and pumped it to the next point, or pumped it back into the ground for later.

We stopped for a look and a stretch and a bite to eat and a look around, then homeward bound again. Rob, then me and Gabe... I rode on for a while but couldn't see Gabe in the mirror - or could I. His headlight was quite dim and the road was hilly and windy (in an outback sort of way). I kept looking, I kept thinking I saw his silhouette. But I didn't. So I eventually stopped and waited. And waited. And waited a bit more. Then Rob came back. So we went back to find Gabe.

No accident. He didn't even leave our stop. Battery died. It was an old wet cell - similar to the original. Push starting wasn't enough.

:tdown:

We're a long way from anywhere and everywhere (including phone reception). Jumper leads - no, not me, nor Rob or Gabe. Now there's a lesson.

Fortunately one of the gas well staff came by and stopped for a chat - he was a rider, and it was quite obvious by the mess that we needed help. He had a few things to do first, but came back with a set of jumper leads and all was good.

He showed us some interesting maps of tracks and historic buildings hidden on local properties... there's much to see and do out here if you could get permission.

And we rolled on....

Getting home was just a formality now. The holiday rolled on, but the adventure was over....

:naughty:

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »

It was getting on in the day and there was still quite a ride to get to Thargo' - our next stop for fuel and a campsite (and shower - every second day is enough) so we sent Gabe out in front and started to push the pace a bit as riding late in the afternoon or night is not safe out here - lots of wildlife that is fast & stupid.

And we rolled on.... we wanted to get to Thargo' tonight (Friday?) as we wanted to get home on Sunday.... so we didn't side-track into Noccundra (where the rally was a few years ago) and just rolled on, with sun behind us and lengthening shadows in front of us.

Then Rob stopped.

Then Rob started to play with the GPS, and checked the tripmeter. How far had we come? How far to Thargo? In total it's about 375km. Doable on the standard tank. But we all went out to grave site yesterday (about 25km) and Rob & Gabe went to the Dig Tree (about 30km) and Rob & I turned around to help Gabe (another 10+km). We were pushing it a bit, the air filters were a bit dirty.... (actually mine was ok as I took the sock off it)...

How far to Thargo'? How far back to Noccundra? Noccundra has fuel, a pub and free camping beside the river. Noccundra was closer. Thargo' might be too far.

We turned around. We left Gabe to continue on as far as he could, he was going a bit faster than us as he wanted to get to town for a new battery. There was no-one to carry a message.... Gabe had camping gear, food & water.... So we went back to Noccundra. I got all the way back - can't remember if I needed reserve or not. Rob put in his extra spare litre of fuel. And then used the "secret reserve". Twice.

Filled up with fuel at the pub.

Filled up with food and beer at the pub.

And that was Friday.

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »
 :banghead:

Forgot this vid

These trucks (trains) will do the highway speed limit, this time it's through road works so less than half that.

Best to stop and wait - visor down

:burnout:

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2016, 06:10:09 AM »
Here's some photo's from Gabe

And when in Birdsville.... photo's in the pub cost a gold coin ($1 or $2) donation to the RFDS

Gabe, me & Rob

me, Graeme & Rob

Rob & Gabe out playing in the sand

Gabe & Rob out playing in the sand

Out here is where Gabe's bike started overheating (napkin/tissue) in the radiator disintegrated & blocked the thermostat.

:ricky:

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2016, 06:21:09 AM »
Somewhere in the bush.... a long way from everywhere.... beside an ancient creek.... our intrepid, middle aged tourists eat & drink the hours away

Gabe, Rob & Graeme

And on the next day God created rocks

rocks, everywhere

Then, another night in the bush beside and ancient waterhole. I think this one is between Cordillo Downs & Innamincka.

Ride on!

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2016, 06:31:43 AM »

me, learning about a lookout
probably the one north of Birdsville

ruins, and me (look carefully & you can see the "helmet hair")

camp, possibly I think this one is between Cordillo Downs & Innamincka

the lookout west of Winten, looking east

Graeme, on the way to Innamincka

And that's it from Gabe

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 07:15:02 AM »
The next day....

Rode on to meet up with Gabe, we had extra fuel for him as we didn't think he would have got to Thargo'. We rang the caravan park & pub last night, but not there. Rob met some other riders at the pub and told them of Gabe's situation in case they left earlier/rode faster (they did both).

A great mornings ride. Wide open spaces, fresh air, blue skies....

Eventually found Gabe packing up camp - he stopped at a nice flat spot with some small trees just off the road, could hardly of asked for better - besides soft grass, running water.... The bike was already running courtesy of some fuel & a jump start. And off to Thargomindah. Maybe we'd find a new battery.

Rolled into the servo/cafe - was a great feed last time I was here. Doors shut. And locked. Closed. Bugger. Off to the main street (there's only 2 streets) to the Toyota dealer as they have a fuel pump. It was around 11:30. And they close at 12 noon (it really was Saturday - lucky we weren't there on Sunday). Fuel done, but no battery. There's a new mechanic working out of a shipping container back past the ex-servo/cafe, he might be able to help as out here he works on everything from farm bikes & lawn mowers to big trucks. He was helpful, of course. He had a battery and gave was (eventually) able to make it fit.

While Gabe was playing Rob & I went to town and just made it to the shop before it shut at noon. Sat in the shade & talked with a couple of riders from the cross-oz rally. It seems the KLX450 really does need it's oil changed and isn't great on the hi way - it died.

After a nice feed at the new cafe it was "homeward bound". Still on holiday, but the adventure was over.

Bollon, camp grounds beside the cemetery

A quiet night camped between the cemetery & the river. Sipped more cask port.

:claps:

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2016, 02:23:46 AM »
We made it home the next day, Sunday.

I'd picked up some dirty/watery fuel and had some coughs & splutters yesterday & this morning - even drained the carby & used the carby cleaner I bought at Innamincka.

The old blokes - Rob & Gabe, took off and left me (the slow & sensible young bloke) at St George to finish with the carby cleaning. And homeward bound.... bit tired and sore, and excited about work tomorrow  :))

Riding down the (small mountain) range was, to say the least "interesting" on the half worn 606's - push to turn, but nothing happens so push a bit more and a bit more... then WHOA, I'm just about kissing the blacktop... push & lean back the other way, and then back again.

And home. The dogs were very excited (to smell me). Everyone else was out, so no triumphant homecoming welcome.

:ricky:

Always great to be home, but WOW, and backwards WOW, what a trip  :wings:

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2016, 05:22:18 AM »
A bit of a wrap-up...

* 16 days away and about 5,300 km (about 3,300 miles)
* didn't ride for 1 hole day (at Muttaburra) and 2 half days (waiting for muddy road to dry & waiting for Gabe to fix his radiator issue)
* 1 pair of socks (pure merino and some tea-tree oil spray)
* half a set of Dunlop 606's and an oil change when I got home
* weight gain; I actually lost 0.5 kg, must have been the fresh air (don't worry, I've put it back on.... with interest)

Money; I had $1000 cash, plus another $150 I found in my wallet when I left. I only put one tank of fuel & the two tourist tours on the magic card.... and returned with about $50. Excellent value. Could I have done it for less? Easy. Less pub/cafe food. Less beer. But it was a holiday

Paid camping; Boomi ($5), Bourke ($15 - $20), Longreach (too much), Birdsville (probably about $20). The two nights in Muttaburra camped in the town park beside the pool where free. All the others where bush camping, except Ballon which was at the free traveler camp on the edge of town.

Bike issues; between all of us
- Grahams' clutch (which was on the way out anyway)
- rear rack bolts x 2
- headlight bulb x 2
- battery (old wet cell)
- cracked radiator - me, but I knew it was my turn so I had metal putty and stop-leak
- dirty fuel - me
- flat tyres - none
- broken racks - none
- fue consumption - standard bike with 16t used least; I, with 692 & 15t used most, and Staintune & jet kit somewhere in between. Sometimes it was quite a lot more. But after I took the filter sock off it improved, especially compared to the others who had dirty filters. Something to think about.

Falls;
- Rob in the mud once
- Graham in the mud several times & gravel (got home with a sore ankle, turns out it was a bit broken - did make some comment about "cheap adventure boots")
- Gabe nil
- Me in a carpark. D'oh (I hurt my back trying to lift it back up - will have to work on the "face the bike" technique as "bum on seat & walk it back up" doesn't work when I can stand up, but the bike is still leaning too far... And that pain in my back... it was a little bit broken - "superior end-plate on L4")

Phone reception in all the bigger towns and some of the smaller towns, but very little along the road once "out west".
Rob had a pre-paid public phone account - good idea.

And when I got back...
- speedo issues

those tabs are meant to be flat - don't know why it didn't happen as soon as I put the wheel back on

- reluctant turning not just caused by half worn D606 on the front - steering head bearings where severely notched (I didn't know they needed extra grease until it was too late)

- radiator crack

don't, I repeat DON'T, cut out the cracked tube. The radiator repair shop will fill it with their special glue as it's too thin to weld, and it's very difficult to do when you have cut the tube out

The movie set in Middleton (Goldstone); eventually got to see it on the big screen - stunning scenery, plus amazing use of aerial shots; story & characters where pretty good.

The old farm hut...

was actually a set for the movie

Offline oneblackdog

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2016, 05:42:15 AM »
What worked?

The KLR, obviously.

D606's; all tyres are a compromise, but I wanted the traction when I really needed it - in the sand & gravel hours from anywhere, so I was happy to trade off the noise, vibration, vagueness on the bitumen (especially when new), wear etc.

Air pressures; low 30's psi for most of the trip - even in the dirt. Did lower to low 20's for the really rough/sandy stuff.

Screen; riser with standard screen plus adjustable lip allowed me to increase protection when sitting down on the long bitumen sections & lower it for better visibility on the dirt

Suspension; I have Ricor front & rear and set the sag for my weight. I'm sure it helped me ride easier & safer.

Top box; previously used a milk crate - dust proof is a winner. No problem with rack-bolts as my rack is tied into the side racks.

Mattress; Exped SynMat ultra-lite 7, very comfortable, small but warm enough. Pumping it up every time didn't quite become a pain.

Cask port. But only for camping.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved