Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cooking and food on the trail  (Read 2522 times)

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
Cooking and food on the trail
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:36:48 AM »
I've camped with some of you all and must say that we have some very accomplished chef's here. How about talking about the type of cooking gear you use and how you pack it all.

Also maybe toss in some suggestions for dinners or quick meals for the campsite. If the food side of this gets pretty active, maybe we could start a meal topic separate.

:thumb:
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
Re: Cooking and food on the trail
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:01:35 AM »
Ok..... my main mode is with a Whisperlite stove, a couple pans, travel cup for coffee or beverages  :beer: .  Got a little collapsable Melitta-type filter which is cool and saves space. And vice-grips for a pan handle.  I really like the ability of the Whisperlite to burn pump gas if needed.  I start with one bottle of Coleman fuel, then, if the trip is long enough, use pump gas.

Got a little frying pan, in case I want some meat but can't/don't want to build a fire.  My staple dinner has become Ramen, with some onion and peppers, leftover meat, etc. thrown in.  A couple pinches of steak rub to further spice it up.  That can make a pretty good meal, even good for breakfast.

Got a little pad to kneel on when cooking or for sitting.

Love to get a steak or sausages, grill them on a fire.  For a grill I got one of those kinda long-handled things that's like a cage for hot dogs... essentially two grills put together.  Popped 'em apart, bent the handle at 90 degrees so it just fits in the pannier.  Works great, and has a nice handle.

That can leave a little extra meat for if I cook breakfast, or maybe for lunch.  I have a foam-lined bag for a cooler,

... which will keep ice for a day.  Kinda bulky when it's filled, but it keeps   :friday:  very cold, and gets smaller as time goes on.

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Surprisingly I don't have any pictures of my kit.
I have two Primus Stoves. Both were gifts. I looked up the price and was shocked. I hope they got a good deal.
Two fuel cans. I only carry one stove and fuel can if i'm by myself.
A small teapot I use to boil water for my instant coffee. A camping mug. One plate, one bowl, One sharp knife,
one fork, one spoon,  a small spatula, one can opener. A small pot and fry pan from Wally-world.  A tiny cutting board, A can of PAM, One sponge,
one dish towel and a bottle of "Camp-Suds" and a plastic shopping bag or two for trash. It all packs up nice and tight.

When it comes to cooking, I keep it pretty plain. When I was in Alaska I ate a lot of Ramen because it was CHEAP, easy and filling.
I like to carry fruit like apples and oranges that don't get bruised easily. They're a good pick me up in the middle of the day.
Also I've been known to carry a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. Don't use a gasoline powered stove to make toast. It makes it taste
like burnt hair smells. And I usually have granola bars on me. And ALWAYS extra on drinking water.

For a good breakfast I get the Bisquick shake'n pour mix for easy pancakes. You can carry syrup if you want but I don't.
or
Cut up a potato, let it fry up in the pan for a bit. The best thing about a potato is you can add anything you want to it.
I like diced onions and peppers in mine. Garlic is good too. If I do have eggs which is only If I buy them at a campground,
I throw them in with the potatoes when they're getting nice and brown and scramble the whole thing up.
Or
The go-to favorite, one can chili and a bag of Fritos. (Usually for lunch or dinner) :naughty:

For me it depends on where i'm going and how long I'll be gone and how many people there will be.
Overnight trips to the local campground mean I have room for a lot of fixins and beer.
Longer trips need more room for clothes and gear and less extravagant meals.
Two riders equals more room and more options for good eats.
A close store can mean you can cook anything you want if you can get your stove lit.

Trial and error folks. I once had to eat a dinner of granola bars and Mountain Dew.  :11doh:

Alan
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline klr zombie

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: 2010 KLR 650
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
This is my 5star set up including ply wood tables for the stove and a dining table. My stove runs on standard fuel so it can be filled from the bikes tank, the burner andboul fit inside the larger cooking pot for transport.

Offline oneblackdog

• Bike: 08 KLR650
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:40:07 AM »

This is my favourite camp dinner - potato, onion, carrot, diced bacon all wrapped in foil and thrown in the fire, then topped with cheese and washed down with with a mug of cask port.

OBD

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
All nice set ups guys. (specially like the port)
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline Dave S

• Bike: '15Weestrom '06WR450Fv
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »
I like to take the time..when I have it, to prep 5 star cuisine on the trail ...this dinner was done high up on Frizbee Ridge above the Revelstoke Dam in October 2012 ...note the bottle of Harvies Bristol Cream...used to lubricate the cook...a side bar to the cooking theme on this thread..durig the early morning hours in the predawn of the day after that feast, I was awakened by a bull moose and his galpal (October is rutting season) He, BMR> Bullwinkle did not like me camping in his lil corner of Nirvana ..I had to pop off three shots into the sky to persuade him and her to bugger off and leave me alone.

https://suitcase.smugmug.com/Frizbee-ridge/n-gmD3gD/
ATGATT +change fuel often

Offline Cway

• Veteran Member
  • Bike: 2008 KLR 685
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 06:59:08 AM »
I personally don't like the extra weight of carrying a stove and pots. So I improvise by cooking spam over the fire or I carry some aluminum foil and will wrap and cook it on the exhaust pipe of my KLR if I cannot have fire. I have also been known to carry a spool of fishing line and hooks and catch a fish and cook it over the fire. Or boil my fish in my ramen noodles.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved