Username: Password:

Author Topic: FIRSTGEAR ONESIE  (Read 2447 times)

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: DRZ400
FIRSTGEAR ONESIE
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »
Well this is fun. I don't think I've reviewed anything in a while.
Okay so, I don't own a car. Well I do, but it's a Suburban that would cost a small fortune to drive everyday so I ride.
I have a 70 mile one way commute that consists of open desert highway, a mountain pass, deep valley and 5 lane super-slab.
And it has gotten COLD over here. Before you northerners scoff, please note that it is 43F here in sunny SoCal right now.
I sold the V-Strom and have been riding the wife's Bonnie for a bit.  That thing has zero wind protection.
So I bought the Firstgear Thermo One-Piece riding suit. It's wind and water proof  (not water resistant).
I read a mountain of reviews on riding suits and this one had the biggest pile of good ones.

For a soft but firm $200, you can feel like you're cuddling with an affectionate fat woman too.
So far it's kept me warm enough. The lowest temp I road in was this morning at about 40F.
I had my regular uniform on with a thin light coat on top of that, a balaclava, boots and gloves. And heated grip wraps.
Tonight there is a hard freeze warning with temps going to dip into the mid twenty's. So I think I'll put a fleece on too.
I bought an extra large on account of my eh, sturdiness, so it's a bit long but not cumbersome. 
So far the biggest downfall is it has NO crash protection that I can see. So I think i'm going to start a chest protector or something under it.
Would I recommend it to another cold weather lunatic?  Yup.
I do look like a dork though.  Oh well.
Wearing it to work has gotten me called, Abominable Alan,  Iron Marshmallow, and Stay puffed Iron Man

Alan
I am the Iron Marshmallow

Offline SWKLR

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: '06 KLR Green
Re: FIRSTGEAR ONESIE
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:06:03 AM »
That looks really nice! Definitely looks warm, I'd bet it will keep you comfortable well down into the 20s.  :thumb:

Does looks a little lacking in the armor as you say, but that can be addressed... you need the armor all the time even when it's hot, so it makes sense for that to be separate.

As for the names from your no-doubt jealous colleagues... embrace 'em!  :rayof: Maybe some stitching on the back... My favorite is Iron Marshmallow...   maybe the Sta-Pufd Man, holding a GAU 30 or something... :claps:
Well armored and filthy

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 05:45:04 PM »
Sounds like a good top layer.plus the water proof would save carrying a rain coat. This year i sprung for a heated jacket and glove liners... and like most ..i have no idea why i waited so long..

Hard to believe you are experiencing about the same temps as here...

any idea's on what the next ride will be?

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:54:53 PM »
Hi guys
I like Iron Marshmallow too.
No thoughts on the next ride just yet. The hunt is ON for a new KLR right now.  :naughty:

It was 32F when I left this morning and it dipped into the 20's climbing up into the mountains.
I was doing pretty good with a fleece underneath.
My hands were cold though. Even with the heated grips. Cold is cold I guess. Maybe I'll put some barkbusters on the bonnie.  :naughty:

Offline trialsguy

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: KLR, Connie, SRX6, GasGas
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »
Thanks!  I have a 25+-year-old Wall outfit that is good but not great,  even with understuff.  I could use something better, and $200 sounds reasonable.

Thanks!   :thumb:

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
Good review Alan.  :thumb: All of the FirstGear products I've had have done really well.
Thanks for the review.

Another vote for the Iron Marshmallow moniker   :poke:    :Hap1:

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 06:36:25 AM »
Nice piece of gear there Alan. Thanks for the review.

I'll bet a simple heated vest under that jumpsuit would work great. And barkbusters(the wider the better) would definitely aid in the wind sapping the heat from your mitts. Heated grips are great but keeping that cold wind off is key. I run skinny Acerbis barkbusters year round. Not much wind protection. Then come cooler weather I zip tie a much wider old pair of Maier woods barkbuster shells to them.

:thumb: 
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline Dave S

• Bike: '15Weestrom '06WR450Fv
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »
Awesome onesie ... looks like the hot ticket for early spring rides into Northern BC and the Yukon... 'cause what I have been wearing the last few years is the "hypothermia imminent" gear.

Rain/water proof V resistant ?? Is water proof superior to resistant ??
ATGATT +change fuel often

Offline Willys

• Bike: 2004 KLR705
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
I'm certainly not a cold weather rider but I have found when caught in the wet cold rides that a heated vest close to the skin to keep your core temp steady is by far the best result you can get. Add you normal riding protection then a good soiid rain outer shell to stop all wind from penetrating into your gear. As for the lower levels, a pair of track pants under or over your jeans/pants of choice with the rain outer layer works for me. I'm certainly not knocking your choice at all and whatever you use to keep warm is best for you......just don't allow your core temps to drop. As for hands, as said above, good larger barckbusters with grip heaters work well. BUT if wearing thick winter type gloves the grip heaters won't usually get the heat into your palms......that $200 could be spent on a good set of heated gloves....again personal preferance. I haven't forked out for those and probably will never do it, yes I'm cheap but if I were to ride into the damned cold temps I certainly would!
 :beer:

Offline ajeli

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »
Hi Willys.
I thought about heated gloves too.
But I think the main issue right now is lack of wind protection. When I had my KLR with the bark busters last winter it wasn't such an issue.
I almost went the heated vest route this year. But my enduro pants aren't warm or water proof anymore
and my Carhartt bibs, while warm and quilted soak up water like it's going out of style. So I decided on a one-piece.
Nice to hear from you.

And Dave, In my personal experience water resistant has gotten me wet, whereas water proof usually holds up for much longer.
That remains to be tested with this one though.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved