Username: Password:

Author Topic: My KLR written off  (Read 2121 times)

Offline klr zombie

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: 2010 KLR 650
My KLR written off
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:41:58 AM »
I got hit by a car a short while ago on my bike. The driver came out of a side street and collected the side of my bike with his bumper bar hitting my left leg, the bike was lifted up in the air and came down on my left leg, pinning it under the bike until I lifted it off. Amazingly my boots took the full force and my leg did not break, just was really sore and bruised.
Because of all the modifications to my bike the insurance company has decided to write it off, the fabrication, import and shipping cost of the broken bits combined with the OEM replacement parts is well above the price for a new bike, so they are going to pay out a new bike cost.
I have been offered the possibility of purchasing the salvage if I want, but have decided to let it go. So if anyone in Aust is interested in some seriously modified parts for their bike it will be at the QBE auctions and I am guessing it will go very cheep as I don't think dealers will know what the undamaged parts such as a Cogent with remote preload adjustment and many others are actually worth..
So it is a sad good bye to a faithful bike that made almost 220,000 km in 5 years of life.

Offline MacGyver

• Bike: 09 KLR 685
Re: My KLR written off
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:24:56 AM »
Wow! Glad you weren't hurt worse. Sorry to hear about your bike. You've had some good times with that KLR and shared great info of your travels. Hope you heal up quickly.   :beer:

Offline oldstove

• Bike: '03 KLR650
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »
Sorry to hear of the demise of such a good ride. Glad you faired ok. I have really enjoyed reading your exploits with that bike.

iPhone Tapatalk
KLR - 2 wheeled multitool

Offline Bernie

• Bike: 08 KLR 650
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »
Bugger !!!

Offline rarepartbuilder

• Bike: Gen 1 klr WR250R
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
Best of luck moving forward from the crash... be sure to post up the replacement unit pics when/if the time comes for another ride.

Offline oneblackdog

• Bike: 08 KLR650
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:21:18 AM »
Dam  :down:  :mad1:

Glad you're ok  :thumb:

Are you getting another bike? a KLR?  :ricky:

OBD

Offline klr zombie

• Contributing Member
  • Bike: 2010 KLR 650
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »
Thanks guys.
No new bike planned at the moment.
I am happy to have found a good home for the small amount of spares I had in the garage.  :beer:

The last photo taken of the KLR with some of its friends.

Be safe and enjoy your toys.  :ricky:  :beer:

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved