fork oil level
The KLRWorld.com Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forum for Tech and Community !
April 23, 2014, 07:01:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hot! See the "Forum News" section for an important announcement!  Hot!

Login Register Home Search Member Map Gallery Help Contact  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fork oil level  (Read 3824 times)
lv2snwbrd
Contributing Member

Bike: 1988 KLR250

Topic starter
www.mylastnickel.com

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »

can anyone tell me what the measurement is for the fork oil is with the forks fully compressed and springs out? 

www.mylastnickel.com
Life on a budget
Quick5pnt0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »

According to the manual each side takes 270ml if the oil was just drained or 320ml if everything was just disassembled and cleaned.

Mike
lv2snwbrd
Contributing Member

Topic starter
www.mylastnickel.com

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:45:20 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I actually saw that in the manual.  I saw a procedure online somewhere that gave a measurement in milimeters that is taken with the springs out and the forks fully compressed.  This makes it a little more accurate of a measurement in my opinion since you may not have the forks completely drained. If this were the case you could have a different amounts of oil in each fork. 

www.mylastnickel.com
Life on a budget
lv2snwbrd
Contributing Member

Topic starter
www.mylastnickel.com

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »

I think for now I will set it at 160mm, reassemble and add 5 lbs of air.  Then I can go for a ride and reassess. 

www.mylastnickel.com
Life on a budget
lv2snwbrd
Contributing Member

Topic starter
www.mylastnickel.com

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »

Okay, I changed my fork seals and put new oil in.  I filled it to about 158 mm from the top of the forks with the forks fully compressed and springs out.  I reassembled the fork and added 5psi of air.  The front end felt kind of spongy so I upped the air to 12 psi.  It still feels spongy to me. 

I have a couple questions now.  First, how should a properly set up front end feel.  When I give the bike a little roll and apply the front brake it seems to compress the forks quite a bit.  What would normal compression be for just applying the brake after slightly rolling the bike forward?  I have never ridden a bike or worked on one before this one, so I don't really know what to expect.  Second, what effect would the fluid level have on the stiffness of the forks.  I guess what I am asking is should I add more fluid to stiffen it or should I remove some fluid? 

I am taking the bike out to the sand dunes for the weekend and heading out in the morning, so I appreciate what ever responses I get.

www.mylastnickel.com
Life on a budget
BakonMoto
---- KLRW ----

Bike: '01 KL250 Super Sherpa

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 05:37:34 AM »

Sounds like you might want to try a heavier weight fork oil. What did you use this time?

Bryan

01 Super Sherpa
99 DR350
04 DR650
04 KTM 625 SM
lv2snwbrd
Contributing Member

Topic starter
www.mylastnickel.com

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:16:45 AM »

I went with ATF just because of the cost factor and this being my first time doing fork seals.  Guess I will run down to the local shop and have my buddy look at it before I do anything.  He can give me his opinion on if my little klr is "normal" or "spongy".  Then if he thinks I need to stiffen my forks I will purchase a heavier weight fork oil (the real stuff this time).  Thanks for the input Bryan!  I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!  I had a suspicion that I would have to change out the oil but I wanted to hear it from someone else first.   banghead banghead banghead

I would still like to hear about the effects of the fluid level on the dampening rate.   thinking... I'm going to head to the dunes in just a few hours.  If I don't hear anything by the time I leave its no big deal, I'll just run the bike as is.  Thanks again for all of the input so far.   

www.mylastnickel.com
Life on a budget
lv2snwbrd
Contributing Member

Topic starter
www.mylastnickel.com

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:34 AM »

I talked to my buddy at the Motorcycle shop and had him ride it.  He said that it feels good, so I am going to take his word for it and ride it as is.  I will see how it goes and post an update next week.   Ride on! Ride on! Ride on!

www.mylastnickel.com
Life on a budget
gorgewindsurfer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:28:56 AM »

on page 12-3 of the service manual supplement oil level is 190 +-2mm (fully compressed, without spring) lurker
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Copyrightę 2006 - 2013 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved

Visit: KLRWorld.com