Add ons for 2008 KLR's
The KLRWorld.com Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forum for Tech and Community !
April 20, 2014, 08:59:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hot! See the "Forum News" section for an important announcement!  Hot!

Login Register Home Search Member Map Gallery Help Contact  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Add ons for 2008 KLR's  (Read 9717 times)
Marty
MBD Afflicted KLR-a-holic
Tech Guru

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »

pinkfloyd,

I would strongly suggest that you start your bike out properly.

Most of the newer bikes - those made in Thailand - have a similar issue with them.  The rear suspension parts have no grease on them at all.  If you read many of the horror stories of folks trying to remove swingarm bolts, that is the cause of that dilemma, the bolt becomes galled and can not be removed.

The process is documented in our "How-To" section and I would suggest stopping by your OMC dealer and picking up some waterproof grease and becoming intimate with your new bike.

Once that is complete - adjust your suspension in the rear for your size (The Patman has an article to accomplish that).

Now I would go to the front of the bike and remove the entire front suspension and add grease to the headset bearings.  Next, follow that up with The Patman's steering bearing adjustment procedure.

It will add to the longevity of your nice, new ride.

Then there is an issue with a thing lovingly referred to as the "Doohickey".  If you live in Florida, I'd offer to do it for free.

Marty - Doomeister
willys

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 06:41:55 AM »

Nice one Marty!!!!

I know...You just want to be the first one to take a 08 to bits and see that awfull Doo for yourself....don't you????

Ya sneaky buzzard ya!!!

Get that Doo done at all costs all the same so we can all see what the heck is in there this time!!!
I have seen pics of what is supposed to be there...but I still say Mike's piece is better!!!
Marty
MBD Afflicted KLR-a-holic
Tech Guru

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 07:03:07 AM »

I just had something brought to my attention.  Looks like I might be wrong about the 08 KLR650 and Kawasaki.

Here's an article, written by Elden Carl on the subject.

While not the same quality of steel that Eaglemike's magnificent piece is, this new part seems to be much better than the part it replaced!

Excuse me while I cook myself some crow here!

Marty - Doomeister
Ron_NC
Dedicated Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »

Tried to add photo with little luck will try again.

Purchased 2008 last monday. Only 25Miles so far, I also need quite a few pieces of guards, plates, etc.

Make sure you check it over good. Sometimes they like to tighten the chain up to much.
PonchoV
---- KLRW ----

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »

Picked up my 08 this afternoon & you are right the chain was to tight, for me
Did a dog bone lowering right in the parking lot.  Need more bones.  Still not enough.
The dealer raised the shocks 1 inch. Dealer added a full tank & I was headed 40 miles home.  Wow! Sure not a VStrom but no less fun.  I now believe camparing the two different bikes, is like apples & pineapples.
Had 3 cars pull along side & honk while giving the thumbs up.  I thought the first guy was mad about my slow then fast speed changing.

I'll give the dealer,"U.S.ONE Powersports Center", in St. Augustine two thumbs up.
Full tank of fuel. 
Dan Gallion, sales manager, gave me the best price in 500+ miles.
Best the in town dealer would do was $600+ over Dan's OTD.

I know the wife has her eye on the VStrom.  But when she saw the KLR she said it looked better outside the shop away from the other bikes.  She's right.

Now I know why so many V owners have the KLR, too.

musclefixer
Dedicated Member

I'm ready daddy!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2007, 04:56:31 PM »

I just took the 08's rear shock off to send it to a friend who is developing suspensions.  He just made a shock for the earlier KLR's to present to a catalog company for sale.  He is a quality guy who makes quality parts.
My shock is going to be the one he checks out to model the newer generation shock from.
I'll let you know how it turns out.  Like he says, he didn't want to get flooded for orders for something he wouldn't be proud of.

As an addendum, Rick has had plenty of feedback on his "Moab" shock for the earlier KLR's, from quite a few guys, so I am STOKED on the coming suspension improvement of the new bike, especially for us "bigger" guys.  Yeehaa!

Wheelies are the cherry on top of the Sundae!
Angus McGee

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 03:08:09 PM »

http://www.happy-trail.com/ has the crash bars you're looking for.  They run around $280 or so.  They fabricate them once you've ordered them, so it takes a few weeks to get there. I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago now, and still haven't seen them.

Mind you, I haven't seen my bike yet, either. I tried to time it so they both got here at the same time.  As it is, my plan seems to be working.
musclefixer
Dedicated Member

I'm ready daddy!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »

Doh!  What am I, drunk?  Cheers!
I totally hosed it and didn't put Rick's web site addy up so some of you with the older KLRs could check out his shock.
Admins, pleae let me know if this isn't the place.  HMMMMM.....
http://www.motocd.com/
Tell him Jesse sent you, or maybe you might not want to. 

Wheelies are the cherry on top of the Sundae!
hdrdr

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 06:46:20 PM »

I just bought my 08 KLR 650 today and rode it 65 miles,this is a great bike,smoother and seems somewhat quickier than the 01 I had,cant wait till she is broke in. Ride on!

Hey! Anyone out there with an update? Who's got an '08? What's it like????

Krazo
gunny
Gunny, aka "bambi killer"
Administrator

Bike: '02 KLR 650

The only destination is self discovery

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 07:36:52 PM »

Welcome hdrdr ! hope you enjoy the site,  feel free to show off pictures of your new ride.

I'm flat out like a lizard drinking.
KC2STD
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Copyrightę 2006 - 2013 KLRWorld.com
All Rights Reserved

Visit: KLRWorld.com